Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI right after approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI right after approval?

Yesterday, I was approved for my second credit card with Amex and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive in the mail. The first one has a 12k limit while the new one is approved for 8k. Can I do a CLI request online as soon as I receive the card (and have the four digit number on the card) or should I wait for 61 days? I'm planning to ask for a CLI from 8k->16k. Only 2X and not 3X but it's more than enough for me.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI right after approval?

When was the last CLI on your existing card?  60 days for new account but 6 months between CLI's on any card as the 3x CLI Guide states.

Whether you should depends on whether your credit supports the CLI or not.

Message 2 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You can request it whenever you want, the only caveat I believe is denial will force you to wait 90 days (180 if approved).

Just stop and think what you are asking for, though, just to make sure you feel it is reasonable. A lender JUST approved you for an $8k line based on your file. Do you honestly believe that a day later they will double that? They likely don't have a reason to, and you might need to wait and show history. Just my opinion. While Amex is typically considered one of the more "generous" with CLI, it doesn't mean they are a magic fairy and your file still needs to support it. Doubling your credint line a few days after opening the card seems like something that would be unlikely, but it's up to you what you want to. Just try and really think about whether you feel it is a reasonable request because as I said, you're stuck waiting if denied.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval.. The 3xCLI immediately on the new card will depend on your credit profile.  I strongly suggest you wait it out a bit if you can do so.  But it is entirely your decision.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

When was the last CLI on your existing card?  60 days for new account but 6 months between CLI's on any card as the 3x CLI Guide states.

It was about 3 months ago. So, CLI requests can be made only once in 6 months per account and not per card? In this case, I'll have to wait 3 months before requesting a CLI on the new card?

In other words, if I had 4 Amex cards, I can only request CLI on each card once in 2 years (4x 6 months)?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

It was about 3 months ago. So, CLI requests can be made only once in 6 months per account and not per card? In this case, I'll have to wait 3 months before requesting a CLI on the new card?

In other words, if I had 4 Amex cards, I can only request CLI on each card once in 2 years (4x 6 months)?

Correct.  Every 6 months per Amex account.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

How sure are you about this? I just chatted with an Amex rep and I was told that the CLI 6 & 3 month limits are per card account and not Amex account. I was told that if I request a CLI on one card account in January, I can definitely request a CLI on the second card account in January or February.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

How sure are you about this? I just chatted with an Amex rep and I was told that the CLI 6 & 3 month limits are per card account and not Amex account. I was told that if I request a CLI on one card account in January, I can definitely request a CLI on the second card account in January or February.

I'm sure of two things.  One, you can only get one every six months per account and two, most Amex CSRs are clueless and you should never listen to them.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

I'm sure of two things.  One, you can only get one every six months per account and two, most Amex CSRs are clueless and you should never listen to them.

Ha ha, fair enough!

Message 9 of 10
dethkultur
Contributor

Go ahead and call them if you haven't got the card yet. Tell them you want more. It will help if you have several other cards with greater limits so you can ask them to match your other limits.

They WON'T take the card away from you. There are no downsides to asking (they'll tell you if they need to do a HP again, then you can refuse.) One thing you learn after awhile rebuilding is that people with high limits are not timid, they ask for them proactively. Starting out it's natural to be so grateful for an $8k limit that you don't want to risk them taking it away, but at some point you have enough confidence in your financial situation, income, etc, that you do step up and tell them that you need a larger limit to get use from the card. They aren't going to put a secret note on your account to take the card back next time you call. Go for it, When you first get approved is a great time to do it (on the same day is best.)

Going forward, the 6 month rule seems pretty solid. Some people say the initial 61 day rule for a 3x increase isn't hard and fast any longer (as in, you can request it earlier.) 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.