Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI strategy

tag
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

AMEX CLI strategy

I have a BCE that I got about two months ago (eligible for 61st day CLI in a couple days!) and the SPG, acquired it last week. Both of them with a CL of 2k. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to go about asking for CLIs would be. Should I pick one card and ask for all the CLIs on that, or try to get them increased simultaneously? Would other lenders like to see 18k on one card, and the other with 2k, or both with a CL of 6k? Of course this is all assuming I do get approved for the CLIs and I understand it's not to be taken for granted.

If I decide to go this route, I'm probably thinking of skipping the 3xCLI on BCE, and asking for it on the SPG in two months, since it'd also help in meeting the sign up bonus for the SPG.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI strategy

Assuming you can get full 3X CLI.  Your strategy would be to get up to 18k on one card.

There are certain "magical" numbers that lenders don't usually want to be the first to cross.  But once you have cards at that level, they all feel more comfortable doing so.  10k is one of those magical levels.  Also, once your at 18k with that one card, you move CLs to the 2k one,  Let's say move 6k to 2nd card to make it 8k and other card 12k.  Then at next CLI move the 8k to 24k.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous- wrote:

Should I pick one card and ask for all the CLIs on that, or try to get them increased simultaneously?

"Simultaneously" was initially throwing my off since it's not possible.  I see now you mean alternately.

@Anonymous- wrote:

Would other lenders like to see 18k on one card, and the other with 2k, or both with a CL of 6k?

Lenders aren't all identical but 18K gets you over the 5K & 10K marks and 18+2 > 6+6 as far as available credit (and, therefore, utilization) is concerned.

If you use one more than the other gettiing the CLI's on that card will help to keep that card's utilization down.

Message 3 of 7
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous- wrote:

Should I pick one card and ask for all the CLIs on that, or try to get them increased simultaneously?

"Simultaneously" was initially throwing my off since it's not possible.  I see now you mean alternately.

Yes I meant alternately, my bad!

Message 4 of 7
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous- wrote:

I have a BCE that I got about two months ago (eligible for 61st day CLI in a couple days!) and the SPG, acquired it last week. Both of them with a CL of 2k. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to go about asking for CLIs would be. Should I pick one card and ask for all the CLIs on that, or try to get them increased simultaneously? Would other lenders like to see 18k on one card, and the other with 2k, or both with a CL of 6k? Of course this is all assuming I do get approved for the CLIs and I understand it's not to be taken for granted.

If I decide to go this route, I'm probably thinking of skipping the 3xCLI on BCE, and asking for it on the SPG in two months, since it'd also help in meeting the sign up bonus for the SPG.

According to AMEX policy, go for BCE CLI on day 61 and SPG CLI 181 days after approval of BCE CLI (if approved of course. If not, start over in 90 days).  Good luck and keep everyone posted.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 5 of 7
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@Anonymous- wrote:

According to AMEX policy, go for BCE CLI on day 61 and SPG CLI 181 days after approval of BCE CLI (if approved of course. If not, start over in 90 days).  Good luck and keep everyone posted.

I really wanna ask the CLI on BCE, but waiting for two months and asking for it on the SPG would prove to be a wiser decision I think, because it's gonna be harder to meet the 5k spend bonus in 6 months on the SPG with only 2k CL (for example I can charge my tuition on the card if the limit is higher.) I wish they allowed 61st day CLIs on all new accounts, but then again, this isn't exactly fantasyland.

However, I did see a post from a couple days ago where the poster was granted a CLI before he/she hit 181st day mark, so, I don't know...

Message 6 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Do whichever gets you the highest limit. The avg line wont be affected too much in the long run!
Amex is bomb w clis!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.