Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI - tip! - 3x is the charm!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI - tip! - 3x is the charm!!

Hi Rom,

You wrote that your cards are new in April.  No matter what I'd wait the 60 days (2 mo) first.  Since you're doing the other thing they seem to love (PIF), that should help you.   I'd definately follow Cheddar's advice about not requesting anything above 25k total, but it does appear that the automatic maximum of 3 times your current limit is the MAX.... doesn't mean you have to ask for at all once.

I wish I knew more enough to say "definately do them both at once" or not...... If your overall utilization is low, you've been PIF'ing them and others, I don't see why you couldn't ask for the max.

Let us know when the 60 days come 'round!

Message 31 of 35
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks, Sovi!

I planned on waiting til July or so, just to have a little more history with them.

I really don't want or need huge increase anyway.  I'd just like to have somewhere between $15 and $20K between the 2 cards, probably still with the majority on Blue (realizing I may need a few CLs over time to get there).  $20 K is basically double the lines I have now with then ($10,600).

I may have made things more complicated by moving my lines around.  Since the Delta is only at 1K now, I 'd have to ask for less than 3K, but  I dont want to ask for so much on the Blue that it would cause a denial or raise a flag.  I'm thinking maybe ask for $2K on the Delta and $5K to $10K on the Blue?  That would get me about where I'd like but wouldnt seem too alarming to Amex.

As I said, I dont really need the lines for purchases, etc., but after spending so much time on this forum, I've learned utilization can be everything (or almost everything) to getting and keeping a high score.  I'm at about 13-14% total, so getting the higher Amex lines would put me at  8% or just below as I pay off the BT within the next 6-12 months.  I'd just like to have enough so that if I ever do have to carry a balance at some point for any reason (house or car repair, etc), that it wouldnt blow my utilization.

Do you know what that "internal risk score" is?!?!? 

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 32 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update this thread, I PIFed my 2nd complete billing cycle (PIFed a partial month in March) yesterday and hit the luv button on the Amex site. Went from $4,500 to $12,500. Snap! Smiley Very Happy

I was afraid to ask for the full 3x and left myself that extra 1k as a cushion.
Message 33 of 35
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
do they tell you what makes you inernal risk??

He said a couple of them, the one I remember off the top of my head was that I hadn't been a cardmember long enough. I think he also mentioned the collection on my CR.
Here we go again...
Message 34 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheddar is on the money!!  I know I am late on getting in on this one.. But I have 3 AMEX credit cards. none of them have more than $25K credit line. 

I have also been through an FR and after I passed and had no impact to my credit lines.  I pumped the guy for info.  I believe that one of the reasons I got hit with an FR is because my combined credit lines exceeded $25K too soon.  Like many folks, I hit the luv button or called for credit line increases... that was a trigger... At least I think it was one of them.

The magic number is $25K..... I think $75K is enough of a combined credit line for me... Smiley Happy
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.