Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI- what would you do?

tag
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

AMEX CLI- what would you do?

On 2/22/12 I asked AMEX to increase my Blue CL (which I had just converted to BCP from a regular Blue)  I had been close to maxing it out, then paid it off and asked for a CLI.  For a year DH had been paying tiny payments just above min. Smiley Sad

OK. Bad move on his part. You can guess that AMEX said no.  As background, the card used to have like an $11K CL, then got CLD'd for inactivity in like 2007 or something to $1K.  It sat there for a long time. Unused CL. Then DH put stuff on it and left it there for a year or more (lower APR)  They declined the CLI and the reason:

One or more payments received in the past 12 months on your American Express account were too low given the outstanding balance and repayment history.

When I called, the CSR told me that more than minimum was still not enough.  But as a positive note, that that was the only "bad" thing for my account.  And that I could retry again after 5/22/12.

Well, here I am. It is 5/23/12.  Which number should I call?

The auto request line?  The number from the letter after being declined last time (800) 535-7790?  Or the executive office?  What would you do?  

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?

52 people have looked at my situation and NOONE has an opinion or advice?  Nobody at all? Come on, guys. Somebody must have a thought or two for me.....

Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 25
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Just use automated system. It is a soft pull. If denied, call executive line for more advice. If denied, then wait another 6 months.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 25
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Have you ever been late on this card? Do you have any other Amex card? Instead of haggling with this card...app for a new card. You'll more likely get a better CL and a fresh start imo, and once approved for the new card, it will backdate so you won't lose any history.

My 1st Amex approval was a small CL.

My 2nd Amex aproval about 7 months later, I received a generous starting CL.

But GL.....

Message 4 of 25
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Thanks Tntexans-

I have a Gold card. They both date to 1999. No lates. They said I did not pay a high enough amount for too many months, although it was more than minimum.  The problem is I converted the Blue to BCP. I might have done this differently if I had been on myFICO longer and understood things better. Too late now. And I have over apped with 5 new accts. I cannot go after any new accts. I REALLY need it to be a CLI with BCP with the 6% groceries and 3% gas.  If you look in my sig, you can see that I have a lot of CC's. I have too much debt affecting my FICO.  I apped for BT cards and moved stuff to 0%.  I have available credit, I think CreditKarma (for what it is worth) said my util was 22 or 24%. (I am also on a DH acct).

Trying to gauge if a human or computer will be better.

Message 5 of 25
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Thanks Tntexans-

I have a Gold card. They both date to 1999. No lates. They said I did not pay a high enough amount for too many months, although it was more than minimum.  The problem is I converted the Blue to BCP. I might have done this differently if I had been on myFICO longer and understood things better. Too late now. And I have over apped with 5 new accts. I cannot go after any new accts. I REALLY need it to be a CLI with BCP with the 6% groceries and 3% gas.  If you look in my sig, you can see that I have a lot of CC's. I have too much debt affecting my FICO.  I apped for BT cards and moved stuff to 0%.  I have available credit, I think CreditKarma (for what it is worth) said my util was 22 or 24%. (I am also on a DH acct).

If the CL is small, best thing to do is use the card estensively and pay it multiple times each month. Over time, you'll get your CLI. I would try that for 3 straight months and request a CLI over the phone using their automated system. IMO..that is your best bet. If Amex declined a CLI, you are allow to request another one after 60 days, etc....

Message 6 of 25
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Thanks Tntexans-

If the CL is small, best thing to do is use the card estensively and pay it multiple times each month. Over time, you'll get your CLI. I would try that for 3 straight months and request a CLI over the phone using their automated system. IMO..that is your best bet. If Amex declined a CLI, you are allow to request another one after 60 days, etc....

That is what I have been doing. Paying 4 times a month. I guess I will try the automated system. Hope they let it fly.

Message 7 of 25
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey crunching!

I'd use the automated line and go for the increase again. Like right now and let us know the outcome!  It's a SP and you wouldn't be in any different circumstances if the anwser is "no".  Ask for the full 3X CLI and see what happens.  If no this time, 6 months from now do it again.  No harm no foul.  

I think that the only thing that might be holding you back is the high utility but honestly, 22% isn't soooo bad.  I've seen people with higher utility get approved for the increase.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 8 of 25
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey crunching!

I'd use the automated line and go for the increase again. Like right now and let us know the outcome!  It's a SP and you wouldn't be in any different circumstances if the anwser is "no".  Ask for the full 3X CLI and see what happens.  If no this time, 6 months from now do it again.  No harm no foul.  

I think that the only thing that might be holding you back is the high utility but honestly, 22% isn't soooo bad.  I've seen people with higher utility get approved for the increase.

I agree 100%...in addition, Amex not only look at the 22% Util which is good imo, they may also look at your overall available credit vs. annual income etc...there's alot of other variables that comes into play. In the end, hopefully everything works out for the best.

Message 9 of 25
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

OK. They said yes to the 3X increase! Yea! Still one of my lowest lines, but I will get it up there with time again. At least they are not mad at me anymore.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.