Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,107
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

AMEX CLI- what would you do?

On 2/22/12 I asked AMEX to increase my Blue CL (which I had just converted to BCP from a regular Blue)  I had been close to maxing it out, then paid it off and asked for a CLI.  For a year DH had been paying tiny payments just above min. Smiley Sad

 

OK. Bad move on his part. You can guess that AMEX said no.  As background, the card used to have like an $11K CL, then got CLD'd for inactivity in like 2007 or something to $1K.  It sat there for a long time. Unused CL. Then DH put stuff on it and left it there for a year or more (lower APR)  They declined the CLI and the reason:

 

One or more payments received in the past 12 months on your American Express account were too low given the outstanding balance and repayment history.

 

When I called, the CSR told me that more than minimum was still not enough.  But as a positive note, that that was the only "bad" thing for my account.  And that I could retry again after 5/22/12.

 

Well, here I am. It is 5/23/12.  Which number should I call?

 

The auto request line?  The number from the letter after being declined last time (800) 535-7790?  Or the executive office?  What would you do?  


Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,107
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?

52 people have looked at my situation and NOONE has an opinion or advice?  Nobody at all? Come on, guys. Somebody must have a thought or two for me.....


Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,096
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?

Just use automated system. It is a soft pull. If denied, call executive line for more advice. If denied, then wait another 6 months.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,588
Registered: ‎04-24-2008
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?

Have you ever been late on this card? Do you have any other Amex card? Instead of haggling with this card...app for a new card. You'll more likely get a better CL and a fresh start imo, and once approved for the new card, it will backdate so you won't lose any history.

 

My 1st Amex approval was a small CL.

My 2nd Amex aproval about 7 months later, I received a generous starting CL.

 

But GL.....

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,107
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?

Thanks Tntexans-

I have a Gold card. They both date to 1999. No lates. They said I did not pay a high enough amount for too many months, although it was more than minimum.  The problem is I converted the Blue to BCP. I might have done this differently if I had been on myFICO longer and understood things better. Too late now. And I have over apped with 5 new accts. I cannot go after any new accts. I REALLY need it to be a CLI with BCP with the 6% groceries and 3% gas.  If you look in my sig, you can see that I have a lot of CC's. I have too much debt affecting my FICO.  I apped for BT cards and moved stuff to 0%.  I have available credit, I think CreditKarma (for what it is worth) said my util was 22 or 24%. (I am also on a DH acct).

 

Trying to gauge if a human or computer will be better.


Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,588
Registered: ‎04-24-2008
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?


crunching_numbers wrote:

Thanks Tntexans-

I have a Gold card. They both date to 1999. No lates. They said I did not pay a high enough amount for too many months, although it was more than minimum.  The problem is I converted the Blue to BCP. I might have done this differently if I had been on myFICO longer and understood things better. Too late now. And I have over apped with 5 new accts. I cannot go after any new accts. I REALLY need it to be a CLI with BCP with the 6% groceries and 3% gas.  If you look in my sig, you can see that I have a lot of CC's. I have too much debt affecting my FICO.  I apped for BT cards and moved stuff to 0%.  I have available credit, I think CreditKarma (for what it is worth) said my util was 22 or 24%. (I am also on a DH acct).

 

Trying to gauge if a human or computer will be better.


 

If the CL is small, best thing to do is use the card estensively and pay it multiple times each month. Over time, you'll get your CLI. I would try that for 3 straight months and request a CLI over the phone using their automated system. IMO..that is your best bet. If Amex declined a CLI, you are allow to request another one after 60 days, etc....

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,107
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?


tntexans72 wrote:

crunching_numbers wrote:

Thanks Tntexans-

I have a Gold card. They both date to 1999. No lates. They said I did not pay a high enough amount for too many months, although it was more than minimum.  The problem is I converted the Blue to BCP. I might have done this differently if I had been on myFICO longer and understood things better. Too late now. And I have over apped with 5 new accts. I cannot go after any new accts. I REALLY need it to be a CLI with BCP with the 6% groceries and 3% gas.  If you look in my sig, you can see that I have a lot of CC's. I have too much debt affecting my FICO.  I apped for BT cards and moved stuff to 0%.  I have available credit, I think CreditKarma (for what it is worth) said my util was 22 or 24%. (I am also on a DH acct).

 

Trying to gauge if a human or computer will be better.


 

If the CL is small, best thing to do is use the card estensively and pay it multiple times each month. Over time, you'll get your CLI. I would try that for 3 straight months and request a CLI over the phone using their automated system. IMO..that is your best bet. If Amex declined a CLI, you are allow to request another one after 60 days, etc....


That is what I have been doing. Paying 4 times a month. I guess I will try the automated system. Hope they let it fly.


Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,409
Registered: ‎07-12-2011
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?

Hey crunching!

I'd use the automated line and go for the increase again. Like right now and let us know the outcome!  It's a SP and you wouldn't be in any different circumstances if the anwser is "no".  Ask for the full 3X CLI and see what happens.  If no this time, 6 months from now do it again.  No harm no foul.  

I think that the only thing that might be holding you back is the high utility but honestly, 22% isn't soooo bad.  I've seen people with higher utility get approved for the increase.


Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, TotalRewards 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,588
Registered: ‎04-24-2008
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?


improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey crunching!

I'd use the automated line and go for the increase again. Like right now and let us know the outcome!  It's a SP and you wouldn't be in any different circumstances if the anwser is "no".  Ask for the full 3X CLI and see what happens.  If no this time, 6 months from now do it again.  No harm no foul.  

I think that the only thing that might be holding you back is the high utility but honestly, 22% isn't soooo bad.  I've seen people with higher utility get approved for the increase.


 

I agree 100%...in addition, Amex not only look at the 22% Util which is good imo, they may also look at your overall available credit vs. annual income etc...there's alot of other variables that comes into play. In the end, hopefully everything works out for the best.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,107
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: AMEX CLI- what would you do?

OK. They said yes to the 3X increase! Yea! Still one of my lowest lines, but I will get it up there with time again. At least they are not mad at me anymore.


Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.