Frequent Contributor
Mank

AMEX CLI - woohoo!

I know some of you will probably think I'm crazy, but I asked American Express for a CLI on my Blue Cash card today and got it! Background: Applied for card Dec 2008 and received $2500 credit limit. Asked at 3 months for a CLI after being told over the phone that was when I could apply, but was denied because it really had to be 6 months. Then asked again online at 6 months but was denied because I had been denied too recently. Recently I started seeing pre-approvals online for other AMEX cards, so I figured if that was the case they should approve an increase on my existing card. I called in today and was told that if I had asked for an increase within the past 6 months I wouldn't be eligible, but that she would be able to look that up. Told me I was eligible, and could ask for a maximum 3 times increase and that it would be a soft pull. I asked for $7500 and got it!

Wouldn't normally be surprised since my other cards are much higher than that, but since it's AMEX and since everyone on earth is being a pain right now, I'm really happy. My scores are somewhere around 740, no derogs, and I use the card as heavily as I can with that tiny credit limit, and always pay statement balance in full. Really excited that I can start getting some actual use out of the card this year, and surpass the $6500 mark to get those higher rewards faster.

Frequent Contributor
Lexa

Re: AMEX CLI - woohoo!

I requested a line increase on my Blue Cash a month ago and got it as well - increased from 1.5k to 4.5k, the rep said I could not request more than 3x of my original CL
Regular Contributor
Zar

Mank and Lexa,

Did they ask any other questions when you requested the CLI? I have an AMEX Blue since March 2008 (CL $4,400) and I have never asked for any increase so i would like to be prepared for any questions they would ask when I call.

Thanks for your help!

Zar :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Mank

Actually, there was one thing I forgot to include. They asked annual household income and whether I was paying any child support (which they told me I didn't have to answer). Good luck Zar!
Frequent Contributor
Lexa

Yes and also I've had the card since July 2008 and never got an increase... once I was told my score was too low... I asked what it was they said 740ish.... oh well. So My friend added me as an AU on his old Citi card (cause I have a really short credit file) and bumped my score upto 780. Than I applied again and got a 3x increase instantly
Super Contributor
DI

I received my Blue card August 2009 with $2000.  PC to Blue cash and received a rate decrease.   I requested a CLI and received $900 CLI  in October. 
New Contributor
JoJo74

Congrats on the increase I'm sure you deserve it:smileywink:
Regular Contributor
Zar

[ Edited ]

I'm very happy! I just called and asked for a CLI on my AMEX Blue. My CL was $4,400 and now it is $12,000! It was all automated and I didn't need to talk to a real person.

Thanks guys!

Zar :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Zar on 12-11-2009 04:50 PM
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Is there a button online or do you have to call now?
Fico Scores: EQ- 682 DCU, TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 NASA(10-6-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
63 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Super Contributor
DI

Creditaddict wrote:
Is there a button online or do you have to call now?

Yes, there's a button online but it's hardly visible. Upon logging in one would have to do a site search to find it

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}