Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI

Hi

I have my amex blue cash for 5 months - PIF every monthy.

My limit now is 5000 - the problem is that I use the blue cash for everything that I buy like 3500 a month .

I need to buy 5 airline ticekts which will cost 6500.

I want to ask them for CLI that I can use my blue cash .

Will they do CLI ? Do they do hard or soft ?

Is there a backdoor number to call ?

Thank U

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI

Hi Fala and welcome to the forums

Amex is a scary beast to figure out. It is a soft inquiry when asking for a cli but they may have changed due to their unpredictive behavior.

If everything is GREAT with your report and you have no worries of being FR or having AA against you then take the plunge. I would tell them of the situation and see if they will give you a cli.

If not then you need to decide, do you want to put so much on your credit card, buying maybe 4 instead of 5 and then PIF. The reason I say this is sometimes they will reduce your credit just because you used all of your credit. Even if you PIF, this unfortunately still may trigger an AA.

Do you have another card to use in purchasing these tickets? Can you break it up using two credit cards?

All I can say is hope for the best, expect the worst and can you deal with it?

Hope this helps and keep us updated

Message Edited by oracles on 02-09-2009 11:59 AM
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank U 

What's AA?

Is there a backdoor number ?

Message 3 of 10
oracles
Valued Contributor

Sorry FALA

AA = adverse action, ie credit limit decrease, apr increase, etc

FR = Finacial Review = Amex does this alot

There is no backdoor number for Amex

Also if you need to find other abbreviations that you may not know, go here to this thread 

Guide to Common Abbreviations

Let us know how it worked out if you decide to do it

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my Blue Cash since August with a $3200 CL and asked for a CLI to $5k, because I had to buy 4 plane tickets too. Smiley Very Happy

She asked me how much I want, and I asked for the $5k. No pull, no nothing.

Well, we'll see where it goes. 

Message Edited by Flo on 02-10-2009 10:55 AM
Message 5 of 10
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have my Blue Cash since August with a $3200 CL and asked for a CLI to $5k, because I had to buy 4 plane tickets too. Smiley Very Happy

She asked me how much I want, and I asked for the $5k. No pull, no nothing.

Well, we'll see where it goes. 

Message Edited by Flo on 02-10-2009 10:55 AM

Good luck Flo, Amex is something

I hope they give it to you.

Keep us updated

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oracles,

they gave me the CLI right away!

That was actually 4 weeks ago.

Sorry for the confusion...

With "where it goes" I meant when they start hunting me down.

Many prople report freaky stuff about (F) Amex, but so far I am one happy camper. Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Flo on 02-10-2009 11:17 AM
Message 7 of 10
oracles
Valued Contributor

Totally cool Flo

Congrats

Message 8 of 10
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Actually your biggest worry is having the account only five months. However if your limit is low for negative reasons you may not get the increase. Normally one would get the increase, but sometimes if you just make it in terms of qualifications then you need a little more time. Another problem is that you have paid this account in full each month. This shows Amex you have access to money, but it doesn't show how well you can use credit. A good variety of payment patterns suggest you might be responding to unexpected budget issues and that you are doing it well. Asking for an increase on a card that has no balance gives the company no incentive to raise your limit.

It wouldn't hurt to mention shopping the tickets on Amex travel either. (even if you're not; although you would be losing a good amount of multiple travel points and protection)

Remember that you ideally want to have at least twice as much limit as the total cost of tickets or immediately pay a chunk of the balance off because we don't want to hang around the 50% UTL  area.

Hope it all works out for you.

CI

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi

I have my amex blue cash for 5 months - PIF every monthy.

My limit now is 5000 - the problem is that I use the blue cash for everything that I buy like 3500 a month .

I need to buy 5 airline ticekts which will cost 6500.

I want to ask them for CLI that I can use my blue cash .

Will they do CLI ? Do they do hard or soft ?

Is there a backdoor number to call ?

Thank U

Message 9 of 10
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Open Amex Blue in 10/2007. Initial CL $2400. The first CLI in 12/07 (within first 60 days) to $5000, the second CLI in 06/08 (6 mos. since the first CLI) to $15000, the third CLI in 12/08 (6mos since previous CLI) to $25000.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.