Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI

tag
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

AMEX CLI

I'm curious to know if anyone has received auto CLI from AMEX.  Specifically, have you received a CLI after they reduced your CLI?  My CL was cut last July and I still use the card and PIF but I was wondering if I was pushing my luck if I request a CLI or are they still doing auto reviews?  Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI

I wouldn't expect to see any CLI's from them anytime soon. Someone who hasn't had a CLD from them should feel very fortunate.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a new member to AMEX since Dec 2008. I have to say that American Express does too many funny business..I dont know what else to say but it's just AMEX is WEIRD
Message Edited by CreditCard101 on 04-09-2009 10:07 AM
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They tried to chase my balance last year so I BT'd it out of there. About 3 or 4 months ago, they doubled my previous credit limit! Go figure....
Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if you have been CLD, you can't apply for cards or increases for 6 months.
Message 5 of 11
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

Creditaddict, I didn't know that you couldn't request a CLI or a new product for 6 months.  However, my CLD occurred in July 2008.  I have still been using the card religiously.  After this month I will be using my Chase Freedom almost exclusively except for gas which then will be my Discover. 
Message 6 of 11
gNaRKiLL
Regular Contributor

I just got notice today after getting my card denied...

CLD from 8000 to 2500.  I called and talked to them. The girl was like I know it sucks but there's nothing I can do and she had heard it all since they are doing it to everyone.  

I was decreased due to having too high a balance on the card (2350 out of 8000) for too long (a few months), and that I had too many delinquincies on my CR. I explained to her I havent had a baddie in over 3 years and that any and all delinquincies were there the day they approved me. She also said that my overall revolving debt was too high (being that this is the only card I had a balance on I find that hard to believe).

Anyways she told me: get all my baddies off of my report in 90 days and pay my balance in full and they will re-review it.  or....Wait an entire year and ask for a CLI, no period shorter than a year will any CLI be granted if any.

The worst thing is that my utilization of that card just went from like 29% to 94% in one day.  That is going to make my credit score plummet. F amex I am gonna start shopping for a new card.

Message 7 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

shop quickly before it updates on the credit report!
Message 8 of 11
karbon86
Valued Member

Right now AMEX is trying to back to the old AMEX.  They started to get into the subprime market because they were greedy like everyone else.  They love people who charge a good amount and pay them in full.  Almost back to the charge card ways.  People who carry balances they seem to be chasing the credit limits down which is disasterous for some people.  I have always PIF and they have yet to CLD me. 
Message 9 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I try to pay in full and many times make the 2-3 payments during the period. I use their cards almost like a debit card.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.