Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX/Capitol One/ Citi PC Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX/Capitol One/ Citi PC Advice

Hello,

I have a 4 year old Costco Amex that I no longer want to pay the Costco membership for as I don't go to costco anymore. I want to change the card to something else, as well as for my other two cards.

Product Change Suggestions (no AF, or first year AF waived)

1. Costco AMEX -> ?

I just want to still have an AMEX in my rotation but will not use it heavily.

I may switch to AMEX Platinum next year from Visa Black when the waived AF ends,  but I'll see if AMEX is accepted at the places I will make purchase from. 

2.Capitol One Platinum (my oldest credit card)... Would I be able to and should I product change? and to what?

3.Citi Diamond Prefferred , thinking about changing it to the AAdvantage Gold MC (No AF) for the 25,000 miles as I have AA miles already , would this be easy todo?

I will be traveling between Asia and the US back and forth for the next year.

Thank you for your suggestions! (waiting for a few things on my CR to show up to ask for a recon for my app for a  Chase Ink for business expenses, so I wouldn't product change until I get it) 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX/Capitol One/ Citi PC Advice

Are you planning on using American Airlines as your primary airline to Asia?

Why not go for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum? If you are flying AA, for $45 more per year you get early boarding and a free checked bag.

From what I hear about Citi CLI, you are probably better off just outright apping for a new Citi AA card, whatever version that turns out to be.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Are you planning on using American Airlines as your primary airline to Asia?

Why not go for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum? If you are flying AA, for $45 more per year you get early boarding and a free checked bag.

From what I hear about Citi CLI, you are probably better off just outright apping for a new Citi AA card, whatever version that turns out to be.

Most of the airlines I fly with are part of One World and the miles goes to AAdvantage, I will try for this Plat then for the miles then, thanks!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know that am ex let's you PC cobranded cards. If they do the blue cash line or the everyday line are two cards that seem to be well liked. See if you can PC to the fidelity am ex if you'll open an account.

Message 4 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know that am ex let's you PC cobranded cards. If they do the blue cash line or the everyday line are two cards that seem to be well liked. See if you can PC to the fidelity am ex if you'll open an account.

Fidelity AmEx is issued by BoA not Centurion Bank. 

Best for OP to ask through chat which cards are possibles. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can they do a credit app through the AMEX chat? And would it be a soft or hard pull with Amex to change cards. A friend just closed his Costco Amex and opened another AMEX card... thought it was a PC, but if Amex doesn't allow PC on cobranded cards then I think he had the CL transferred from the Costco Amex to the new one for a higher CL? 

Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@jetsetsociety wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can they do a credit app through the AMEX chat? And would it be a soft or hard pull with Amex to change cards. A friend just closed his Costco Amex and opened another AMEX card... thought it was a PC, but if Amex doesn't allow PC on cobranded cards then I think he had the CL transferred from the Costco Amex to the new one for a higher CL? 

No, you cannot apply for credit through chat.  PC do not require a hp. 

Amex does allow PCs on co branded cards -the choices are limited. 

Edit: I thought the TE is one that cannot be PC'd. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Message 7 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Amex:  May or May not be able to switch.  Since it is cobranded the choices will be limited.  If you are going to be travelling then maybe consider the Delta card!  It would add to miles you can get in case you aren't on a OneWorld craft!  Of course, it would also be simple to apply for the Delta card and get the initial sign up miles, which can be handy!

Capital One:  Try for the QS card without the AF.  Since you will be travelling to Asia this card and Discover are two of the best cards to have for no FTF.  (If you are in China Discover is accepted almost everywhere!  Chinese clerks just don't know it!  You just have to tell them to try the card!)  However, the standard rewards on the Discover card are less than on the CapOne card.  Overseas purchases may not actually get you bonus rewards from Discover in their categories.  (I have never checked, but most cards used overseas only qualify for the basic rewards.)

Citi:  If you are going to use the card for purchasing airline tickets, then the AA card lineup would be you best choice.  Use this card for the airline purchases and the CapOne for other purchases.  The cash back is higher than most normal purchases I believe!?!  The purchases for the airline tickets would earn the miles and the miles for the flight and the miles for the purchase, however once again check on the rewards and how they quantify in relation to cash back vs. miles.  It might still make more sense to get cash back. 

(No, I am not fond of cards that earn rewards for miles or anything similar.  I always equate it to how much more realistic benefit do I get from just simply having a higher cash back reward.  For example, the Venture card equates to 1.25% cash back, when the QS card is simply 1.5% cash back.  I don't get clouded in judgement about the awe of earning travel miles or points.  I just reduce it mathematically down to how much cash back does it relate to!) 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 8 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Exactly, points and miles can be great but you have to sit down and really figure out how much you are actually getting. In many cases, Quicksilver or Double Cash is going to be a better deal.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:

@jetsetsociety wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, you cannot apply for credit through chat.  PC do not require a hp. 

Amex does allow PCs on co branded cards -the choices are limited. 

Edit: I thought the TE is one that cannot be PC'd. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

You are right, I spoke with AMEX and the Costco card cannot be PC'd into another card. So I decided to keep it for now and asked for a 3x CLI today which I was approved on. I also found out that there are Costcos in Japan and you can use your membership globally, so I guess I will be happily keeping the card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.