Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Card Auto Purchase?

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

AMEX Card Auto Purchase?

I got an email from American Express saying that they offer the ability to buy an entire car using your AMEX card...obviously at "select dealers" but does anyone know about this? It seems like its basically an auto loan through your AMEX card somehow which im assuming would have to not count against your normal credit limit or anything? Anyone heard of this before?

https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main.html?referrer_id=ZAMX000002

amexauto.png

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Express
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Card Auto Purchase?

@shane82388 wrote:

I got an email from American Express saying that they offer the ability to buy an entire car using your AMEX card...obviously at "select dealers" but does anyone know about this? It seems like its basically an auto loan through your AMEX card somehow which im assuming would have to not count against your normal credit limit or anything? Anyone heard of this before?

amexauto.png

I've got the same offer, But waiting on someone else to try it first! Smiley Indifferent

CL $408,200
Message 2 of 34
shane82388
Established Contributor

@Express wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

amexauto.png

I've got the same offer, But waiting on someone else to try it first! Smiley Indifferent

haha, i just bought a new car about a week ago so i wount be trying it any time soon but its very interesting....im assuming they must just do that particular "charge" on the side and it functions like a normal loan but you use your card initially to do it....jeez...lotsa membership rewards points!

Message 3 of 34
gstq34
Contributor

Not sure I want THAT bill rolling in the next month to PIF!

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 34
shane82388
Established Contributor

@gstq34 wrote:

Yeah, thats why im thinking it must be paid as a side charge type of thing....otherwise who the heck could really do that? 

Message 5 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

If the dealership willing to accept a charge on the full price of the car is within 1% of the best price I can negotiate elsewhere for the car, then it's a good deal.  Interesting, might try this for my next car which is coming up.

So, if I use my Plat, do I get the extended warranty?  90 day accidental coverage up to $10K?

Message 6 of 34
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I dont think they want you to use your card to buy the car. The program is like a shopping program/service that negotiates the best price on a car. I do not believe there is any implication of using your card, its just a benefit of being a cardmember. The service is like carwoo.com

Message 7 of 34
shane82388
Established Contributor

@MrCredit wrote:

I dont think they want you to use your card to buy the car. The program is like a shopping program/service that negotiates the best price on a car. I do not believe there is any implication of using your card, its just a benefit of being a cardmember. The service is like carwoo.com

It literally says "Use your card for full purchase price of the car".

Message 8 of 34
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@gstq34 wrote:

LOL, a lot of people have 35k PoT on the charge card, however the interest rate will kill you.

Maybe Amex has a program that already pre-approved you and all you have to do is charge it on the card and it will transfer in to loan with better rates.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 9 of 34
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Someone who is using their Amex Charge to buy a car is not looking for financing! and I don't believe Amex offers financing either... this program is to pay with your charge card or I guess if you have a high enough credit line on amex credit card products and PIF unless you really want to revolve that but I have a feeling if you have the credit line to buy a car above $30k you are not revoling that sort of thing on your amex!

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.