AMEX Card Auto Purchase?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Card Auto Purchase?

@enharu wrote:

which Mercedes? 

I'm not a porsche guy so......lol.

LOL...I'm not a Mercedes guy, so I have no idea!  

The only reason for a Mercedes is because I could lease and insure it under my Firm, whereas I can't with a Porsche.  Probably an E class, since it'll be a business lease.

Message 21 of 34
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

which Mercedes? 

The only reason for a Mercedes is because I could lease and insure it under my Firm, whereas I can't with a Porsche.  Probably an E class, since it'll be a business lease.

Ah I see. 

The leasee is responsible for all maintenance fees of the vehicle right? Or does Mercedes cover it?

Eitherways both cars are going to have a big fat bill for maintenance. You could earn some 5x MR with the Mercedes Plat card if you get the Mercedes too Smiley Happy

My biggest regret with Mercedes was not buying their prepaid service plans.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

The leasee is responsible for all maintenance fees of the vehicle right? Or does Mercedes cover it?

Eitherways both cars are going to have a big fat bill for maintenance. You could earn some 5x MR with the Mercedes Plat card if you get the Mercedes too Smiley Happy

Leasee is responsible, but in this case, it's my Firm, which has title and also pays for the insurance.  Ordinarily, a lease is only worth it when used as a business deduction.  Downside is I've got to "own" another car for "personal" use. 

Being a CC enthusiasts, part of the allure for leasing the Benz would be to use the MB Platinum's 5X for maintenance and another 50K MR bonus.  Smiley Very Happy  Also, get $1,000 off and an extra 2,000 miles on the lease.

Message 23 of 34
Rackham94
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

which Mercedes? 

Ah I see. 

Sent you a PM Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 34
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Leasee is responsible, but in this case, it's my Firm, which has title and also pays for the insurance.  Ordinarily, a lease is only worth it when used as a business deduction.  Downside is I've got to "own" another car for "personal" use. 

Being a CC enthusiasts, part of the allure for leasing the Benz would be to use the MB Platinum's 5X for maintenance and another 50K MR bonus.  Smiley Very Happy  Also, get $1,000 off and an extra 2,000 miles on the lease.

Is the $1000 off an ongoing promotion for the MB Plat card? Or does the revolving card get that offer too?

I'm interested in finding out more about leasing a vehicle. Been buying them, but a lot of people have told me that leasing would have been better for me since I switch vehicles every 2-3 years. Haven't really done the Math to determine which is better.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 25 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Is the $1000 off an ongoing promotion for the MB Plat card? Or does the revolving card get that offer too?

I'm interested in finding out more about leasing a vehicle. Been buying them, but a lot of people have told me that leasing would have been better for me since I switch vehicles every 2-3 years. Haven't really done the Math to determine which is better.

The Revolver has a $500 credit.  

Leasing is better when rates are low, especially if you can have your business as a leasee and insured.  I lease a new car every two years.  You just have to make sure you lease a car which tends to hold it's value, otherwise you may have to make up the cost of depreciation.  

Message 26 of 34
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

The Revolver has a $500 credit.  

Leasing is better when rates are low, especially if you can have your business as a leasee and insured.  I lease a new car every two years.  You just have to make sure you lease a car which tends to hold it's value, otherwise you may have to make up the cost of depreciation.  

can you explain more about this?
So I am on the hook for depreciation as well, not just monthly payments + downpayment? 

Message 27 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

can you explain more about this?
So I am on the hook for depreciation as well, not just monthly payments + downpayment? 

When you lease a car, there are many things to negotiate.  It isn't unlike buying a car, where you still have to negotiate a purchase price option at the end of the lease agreement.  

For example, you still need to focus on the "purchase price," because at the end of the lease, there's always that option to buy.  The price is determined by the vehicle's residual value vs. this negotiated price.  So, if you pay too high a price and the residual value is low (from more than expected depreciation), you will be penalized (if you actually wanted to keep the car) or not have the option to purchase.

Whereas if you negoiated a better deal, you can purchase the car at residual value, and sell at a higher price.

*Edited* PS - Let's say, you paid a high price, and the car falls in value very quickly.  What happens if you total the car, and the insurance payment's "market" value is less than the value you had agreed to pay?  There's a potential gap, if a car depreciates faster than expected.  You can always buy "gap" insurance in your auto policy, but it's best to lease cars that tend to keep it's value, and negotiate the best terms and pricing.

Message 28 of 34
enharu
Super Contributor

Ah I see. Could the residual value be so low where you could make a profit even if you were to sell the car to carmax?

I've been selling my car to used car dealers to avoid hassles :/

Message 29 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Ah I see. Could the residual value be so low where you could make a profit even if you were to sell the car to carmax?

I've been selling my car to used car dealers to avoid hassles :/ 

To Carmax, you'd have to have negotiated one heck of a deal!  It is possible, but usually for certain cars that become rare and in demand for some reason; you'll always get a higher price from private buyers.

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.