Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Chances

tag
dawgwag

AMEX Chances

Hi everyone,

Been reading the tons of helpful threads on the board. Lots of great info here.

Hope someone can give me some advice on applying for an AMEX, hoping for either PRG or platinum. EX is 710, have a late in the past 2 years, one card of my own and AU on two other cards, one is a platinum amex. Average acct age is 19.7yrs due to the AU. 25% util.
 I'm worried about the somewhat recent lates, though none have ever been with the AU amex. Should I try for the platinum or PRG or start with their credit or green cards?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Chances

The theory is that the approval criteria are the same for all of the AMEX charge products, so you probably stand an equal chance of being approved for any of them.  Another theory is that you would stand a better chance of being approved for an AMEX charge than an AMEX revolver with a marginal/poor credit profile, so you're at least looking at the right cards. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Apply for the one you want... Gold or Plat. skip green.

you will have 50 no's for the 1 yes when it comes to amex.... I don't think anyone's guess is going to be very good so if it's the card you want and you don't need to apply for anything else big why not... who cares about the 1 inq.

Message 3 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dawgwag wrote:

Hi everyone,

Been reading the tons of helpful threads on the board. Lots of great info here.

Hope someone can give me some advice on applying for an AMEX, hoping for either PRG or platinum. EX is 710, have 2 30 dates and a 60 late in the past 2 years, one card of my own and AU on two other cards, one is a platinum amex. Average acct age is 19.7yrs due to the AU. 25% util. Income is approx $150k and own my home.
 I'm worried about the somewhat recent lates, though none have ever been with the AU amex. Should I try for the platinum or PRG or start with their credit or green cards?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

Amex is a funny beast and hard nut to crack that being said charge cards have the same underwriting so it just a matter of choice which one you want.

The AU will not help much with Amex IMHO while it looks good on CR.

The lates if i'm correct was on the one card in your name and is what Amex will weigh in the process...That's the badSmiley Sad

The good is with your income and other good things homeowner hopefully all on time payments? 

YMMV but I think you stand a good chance of approval

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 10
dawgwag

Instant approval for the AMEX Platinum!

Thanks for the push I needed to go on the website and apply. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
cqdealer711
Frequent Contributor

@dawgwag wrote:

congrats!

Starting FICO Score: 10/1/12--EQ 512 | TU 492 | EX 524
Current FICO Score: 2/22/14--EQ 705 | TU 703 | EX 716
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Awesome!!! 

*8/10/13
Message 7 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dawgwag wrote:

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 10
dawgwag

Thanks everyone!

Now should I call and see if they can backdate it to the member date of the AU card?  Anyone know if they'll have a problem with me keeping the AU platinum and my own card?

Message 9 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your approval and welcome to the forum!

Amex should have np with you keeping the AU. Plenty members on this board have their own and are ACMs.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.