Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Card Payment - Available credit

tag
smittyboy020
Contributor

AMEX Charge Card Payment - Available credit

May 16th, I made a $3000 payment on my Platinum charge card, but my available credit didn't change, ($5000 hard limitted).  What could possibly be the reason? Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Charge Card Payment - Available credit

It can take a day.  Or they could be having technical difficulties?  I'm sure it will turn out in your favor.  Keep checking with them and if after a couple of days, I would give them a call.  

Message 2 of 8
Berk
Established Contributor

It depends on how you paid your bill. I have auto pay set up. The payment posts on the due date but can take up to three days to show up in my checking account. I have also payed on the Amex web site and it can take 2-3 days to be reflected on my card balance even though it shows as paid on the due date.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's strange... My payments reflect my available credit instantaneously. Question... How does your platinum charge have a $5000 limit?
Message 4 of 8
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's strange... My payments reflect my available credit instantaneously. Question... How does your platinum charge have a $5000 limit?

Its not all that unusual to have a hard limit put on an Amex charge card. Its like Amex says:

We may impose a spending limit on certain accounts based on risk factors, but no more than 10% of the card base (on a product-by-product basis) should have any spending limit placed on the account.

‡ Benefit Terms
No Pre-Set Spending Limit

No pre-set spending limit does not mean unlimited spending. Purchasing power adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record and financial resources known to us, and other factors.

And this is right off the benefits page of the Plat card.

Message 5 of 8
core
Valued Contributor

@Berk wrote:
Its not all that unusual to have a hard limit put on an Amex charge card.

Yes, but it's rarely done for "no reason".  Whatever the reason is for the hard limit, it might also be the reason the payments need to clear first?

Message 6 of 8
smittyboy020
Contributor

The hard limit was set after an FR. 

Message 7 of 8
smittyboy020
Contributor

The payment was deducted from my checking account the following day.  I'm about to give them a call.  I'll post my results. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.