Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Card Payment question

tag
ucibaqt
Valued Member

AMEX Charge Card Payment question

I was recently approved for a AMEX green card. I was honestly surprised that I was approved. I've searched the forums for payment information, but most of what I found was contradicting. When am I supposed to pay and have the balance report at 0. When the statement cuts, billing cycle closes, or the by due date on the statement?

Any help understanding charge card payments will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AirlinerDudeB6
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Charge Card Payment question

There is lots of interpretation on here as to when you "should" pay by to get on Amex's good side. 

Personally, I have mine on auto-pay for day 25 and I never have to worry about it. 

Make sure you pay by the statement closing date and you will be fine. Just remember that the statement date varies by a couple days each month, so that's why I recommend the auto pay. 

Discover It - $25.5k | Sam's Club MasterCard - $25k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $23.8k | Amex EveryDay - $23k | Barclays JetBlue - $23k | Citi TYP - $7.1k | Cap1 Quicksilver WMC - $7k | Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature - $6.5k | Chase Freedom - $3.2k | Amex Gold - NPSL |
TU 08 FICO - 812 | EQ 08 FICO - 799 | EX 08 FICO - 793 |

Utilization - 16% | AAOA - 4.3 years | In Garden - Since 9/6/16
Message 2 of 7
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Let the balance report. Charge cards are different than credit cards. The balance that reports on a charge card has zero effect on the FICO scores that are used by creditors and there is no benefit to prepaying a charge card.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 3 of 7
ucibaqt
Valued Member

Since I have a new card, a note pops up that I can only pay once the statement closes. Does that mean it will report a balance once the statement closes?

Message 4 of 7
ucibaqt
Valued Member

Okay will do. Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 7
AirlinerDudeB6
Regular Contributor

@ucibaqt wrote:

Since I have a new card, a note pops up that I can only pay once the statement closes. Does that mean it will report a balance once the statement closes?

This happens for the first cycle when trying to pay through the website. 

Yes, the balance would report. But as mentioned above, there is no FICO impact. 

If you're that concerned about balance reporting, push the payment through your bank's online bill pay to amex. 

Discover It - $25.5k | Sam's Club MasterCard - $25k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $23.8k | Amex EveryDay - $23k | Barclays JetBlue - $23k | Citi TYP - $7.1k | Cap1 Quicksilver WMC - $7k | Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature - $6.5k | Chase Freedom - $3.2k | Amex Gold - NPSL |
TU 08 FICO - 812 | EQ 08 FICO - 799 | EX 08 FICO - 793 |

Utilization - 16% | AAOA - 4.3 years | In Garden - Since 9/6/16
Message 6 of 7
creditFiend
Established Contributor

I have mine on auto pay also. Balance always report. Does not affect utilization. I love my Green. .
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.