cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Card Spending Limits

tag
savvyplanner

AMEX Charge Card Spending Limits

Question, has anyone ever experienced this.

I opened my Platinum Card with American Express in April 2010, I pay on time and sometimes before it's due every month. 

In 2011 I went abroad for Graduate MBA courses and I allowed my then CPA to pay the bills as they came in while I was gone.

My family worked with this guy for years and thought he was trustworthy, well turns out he was a fraud.

He failed to pay my balance from May and allowed it to be past due all summer. I returned to the country in August and I received a collection call from AMEX and they said I was past due, in order for them to reopen my account and not report it negative all I would have to do is pay my balance of $5392. Which I did quickly but the catch was that my initial open to buy would no longer be $5,000 it would instead be a percentage of the balance I paid and that turned out to be $1100. For the last 2 years I have kept the account in great standing but they refuse to remove the $1100 spending line. I was told back when I paid the past due balance that it would be removed in 6 months, of course there was no record of that conversation. I applied for the business Platinum in December and was approved the open to buy on that one is $10,000. Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Charge Card Spending Limits

@savvyplanner wrote:

Question, has anyone ever experienced this.

I opened my Platinum Card with American Express in April 2010, I pay on time and sometimes before it's due every month. 

In 2011 I went abroad for Graduate MBA courses and I allowed my then CPA to pay the bills as they came in while I was gone.

My family worked with this guy for years and thought he was trustworthy, well turns out he was a fraud.

He failed to pay my balance from May and allowed it to be past due all summer. I returned to the country in August and I received a collection call from AMEX and they said I was past due, in order for them to reopen my account and not report it negative all I would have to do is pay my balance of $5392. Which I did quickly but the catch was that my initial open to buy would no longer be $5,000 it would instead be a percentage of the balance I paid and that turned out to be $1100. For the last 2 years I have kept the account in great standing but they refuse to remove the $1100 spending line. I was told back when I paid the past due balance that it would be removed in 6 months, of course there was no record of that conversation. I applied for the business Platinum in December and was approved the open to buy on that one is $10,000. Any suggestions? 

Welcome to the forums!!!

I would calling AMEX executive offices to see what they can do.

1800 297 6197

Good luck!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.