Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Card

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

AMEX Charge Card

Just an interesting tidbit from an AMEX CSR via chat today. I was browsing through the AMEX website trying to solidify my choice of cards for my upcoming app with them when the chat box popped up. So I decided to ask the CSR for some guidance about what my best chances for approval might be, knowing that probably nothing would come of it. I told her that I was considering apping for one of the charge cards like PRG then a revolver after establishing a relationship. Of course after all of the scripted responses about everything that went into being approved, and me telling her that I had been denied a few times and just wanted to have the best chance at approval, she said that many people who have had problems with approval in the past were able to obtain approval for a Green Card to start. She also mentioned that this card would qualify for upgrade at some point based on how the account was handled. So she did steer me away from the PRG and towards the Green Card for whatever reason. Maybe they have a quota or contest to see if they can get more Green applications. Nevertheless, I thought it was interesting.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Charge Card

Hard to say, most people who are just looking for the entre into Amex take the Green as it's the cheapest option.  Anecdotally we've seen that the underwriting guidelines for all the charge cards are close to the same (hard to say as income is likely the more dominant factor in many respects), but in the past it certainly appeared as though the Zync was slightly easier but that was likely because of the $500/$200 counter options.  

Underwriting standards do change, it's possible that Amex relaxed the Green after discontinuing the Zync but we don't get that many people who apply for the Green other than backdating purposes, and the PRG doesn't really make much sense unless you can hammer the bonus structure which requires fairly substantial spending that statistically most people won't reach.

        
Message 2 of 11
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Don't underestimate the power of the Green. Exude confidence and independence. Whip out that original classic proudly! The Green Card by American Express.

And err, a Green in the wallet is worth two PRG's on the app list? The underwriting is similar for all the charge cards, but not verified to be the same, as far as anecdotal evidence goes.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 3 of 11
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

I fell for all the charge cards are the same U/W. I am sorry but I dont buy it. I make 40k a year and applied for the prg in jan and was denied. my score was probably around 670ish. Its the only card that I have every been denied for sense i have joined this forum. I do believe that my lower income had a good part in me not getting the card, I also believe if I apped for the green I would have been approved. Other Credit card websites that review the cards says the green is easier to get than the prg. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 4 of 11
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

Don't underestimate the power of the Green. Exude confidence and independence. Whip out that original classic proudly! The Green Card by American Express.

And err, a Green in the wallet is worth two PRG's on the app list? The underwriting is similar for all the charge cards, but not verified to be the same, as far as anecdotal evidence goes.

Flashing your credit card numbers on live TV takes a certain kind of confidence.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Brusilov wrote:

@watch44 wrote:

Flashing your credit card numbers on live TV takes a certain kind of confidence.  Smiley Very Happy

I wonder what his "internal spending limit" is ????

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 11
Longroad
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Brusilov wrote:

@watch44 wrote:

Are there enough zeros?

Message 7 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Longroad wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

@Brusilov wrote:

@watch44 wrote:

Are there enough zeros?

Wonder how many companies have been bought with that card???

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 11
amakol
Regular Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I fell for all the charge cards are the same U/W. I am sorry but I dont buy it. I make 40k a year and applied for the prg in jan and was denied. my score was probably around 670ish. Its the only card that I have every been denied for sense i have joined this forum. I do believe that my lower income had a good part in me not getting the card, I also believe if I apped for the green I would have been approved. Other Credit card websites that review the cards says the green is easier to get than the prg. 

$27K income, PRG approval last year. My sister - $25K income, PRG approval this year. Your score and whatever the reason behind it being 670 is more likely the reason it wasn't approved. Only "what if" can tell if Green would have been easier, it's impossible to prove for sure.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 9 of 11
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@bonehead88 wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

$27K income, PRG approval last year. My sister - $25K income, PRG approval this year. Your score and whatever the reason behind it being 670 is more likely the reason it wasn't approved. Only "what if" can tell if Green would have been easier, it's impossible to prove for sure.

Maybe...I was approved for a PRG with income similar to his ($42-$45K depending on bonuses) and a lower FICO (662)...so really who knows what the heck is happening. lol

Was declined for a Zync in 2012 but with a messier file and less history.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.