Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Card

tag
FicoTron
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Charge Card

If you spend enough to earn enough points to pay the AF and then some, then it is worth it. That's why I do it, plus the bennies don't hurt. Plus it helps get better cards down the road. And some of us don't rely on laying balances off and paying a percentage on it. I use my Amex as my debit card. Which means it gets used a lot.
EX-774 (Amex Fico) 8/12
EQ-725 (Fico) 1/12
TU-729 (Fico) 3/12
Message 11 of 21
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@MrChairman wrote:

I have pondered over and over about why people are so in love with AMEX charge cards. I see no real purpose of value for them. The argument I always get is all of the "free" perks which in actuality aren't free because of the exorbent AF's you pay to carry it. Can someone please enlighten me with a valid argument on why I should/need to add an AMEX to my portfolio.

MrChairman - The AMEX charge card isn't for everyone.  If you don't see any value in them, then you will find none.  I personally enjoy the use of the card as my every day card.  I use it as a debit card for everything.  I earn rewards, more then enough to cover the fees + some.  Thus this card is free for me.  I don't have to worry about fraud and it doesn't affect my utility at all like use would with a revolver.  I don't have a spending limit. (so to speak) These points themselves are more then enough value in my opinion.  I really hope this helps you.  Every card is what you make of it.  I hope you find the perfect card for you. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 12 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

I really hope this helps you.  Every card is what you make of it.  I hope you find the perfect card for you. Smiley Happy

Very salient point, which is why there are so many cards!

There's never a one size fits all in any product or service.  There are different levels geared towards each person's income, needs, and preferences.  Many fail to see the value on paying a fee for spending money since no benefits are derived from the fee.  Likewise, I can't understand why a person would choose a card just because it has no fee and fail to reap the benefits of fee based cards.

What I've noticed is that while fee based card users seem to have a better understanding of why others op for no fee cards, the reverse isn't true--no fee card users tend to not understand why anyone would pay a fee for a card, for any reason.  

Message 13 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

I really hope this helps you.  Every card is what you make of it.  I hope you find the perfect card for you. Smiley Happy

There's never a one size fits all in any product or service.  There are different levels geared towards each person's income, needs, and preferences.  Many fail to see the value on paying a fee for spending money since no benefits are derived from the fee.  Likewise, I can't understand why a person would choose a card just because it has no fee and fail to reap the benefits of fee based cards.

What I've noticed is that while fee based card users seem to have a better understanding of why others op for no fee cards, the reverse isn't true--no fee card users tend to not understand why anyone would pay a fee for a card, for any reason.  

True. I've always felt that if the benefits of a card outweigh the fee, then it's a win. And the value of the specific benefits -- cash back, points, travel rewards, etc. -- will vary depending upon the individual's spending pattern and needs. Therefore, there is no one right card for everybody. That's why it's important to research what's out there and try to obtain what's best for you.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 14 of 21
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

True. I've always felt that if the benefits of a card outweigh the fee, then it's a win. And the value of the specific benefits -- cash back, points, travel rewards, etc. -- will vary depending upon the individual's spending pattern and needs. Therefore, there is no one right card for everybody. That's why it's important to research what's out there and try to obtain what's best for you.

+1  Thanks tinuviel and open

Your statements directly reflects what I meant when I wrote:  If you don't see any value in them, then you will find none.   

I have family members that I don't see eye to eye with regarding fees for cards.  Kinda funny really.  Right brain/ Left brain.  Not that they are wrong in their beliefs, but to each his own.  They will never see the value in a fee based card and I see/understand this point.  They however do not see/understand mine.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 21
WilliamCali
New Visitor

So whats wrong with talkign to overseas reps???

As long as they are courteous and are part of Amex, should you not focus on your issue at hand? This is a business right. :-)

When people start saying "...sounded like an accent..". Well, "...sounds like racism..." to me.

Enjoy :-) 

Message 16 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Amex CSRs with my BCE are extremely nice and professional :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 21
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I like mine but I dont think I will keep mine past a year. It is nice to not worry about a limit but since I got my CSP I plan to use that. I dont mind paying one fee, but I cant pay two if I cant use both cards to justify it. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 18 of 21
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

its an amex thats why lol. When you pull out the green, people look at you differently. Atleast for me at 25 years of age, it feels like that. and I've only had it for a couple of days. but adding to what everyone said a charge card keeps you on budget.

CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 19 of 21
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@MrChairman wrote:

I have pondered over and over about why people are so in love with AMEX charge cards. I see no real purpose of value for them. The argument I always get is all of the "free" perks which in actuality aren't free because of the exorbent AF's you pay to carry it. Can someone please enlighten me with a valid argument on why I should/need to add an AMEX to my portfolio.

MrChairman - The AMEX charge card isn't for everyone.  If you don't see any value in them, then you will find none.  I personally enjoy the use of the card as my every day card.  I use it as a debit card for everything.  I earn rewards, more then enough to cover the fees + some.  Thus this card is free for me.  I don't have to worry about fraud and it doesn't affect my utility at all like use would with a revolver.  I don't have a spending limit. (so to speak) These points themselves are more then enough value in my opinion.  I really hope this helps you.  Every card is what you make of it.  I hope you find the perfect card for you. Smiley Happy

+1, Couldn't agree more ! !

Value is a perception, what one gets from a product.  If one perceives no value TO THEM, then it is NOT valuable.  It's an individual thing.  Everyone has a bias, whether it be credit cards, tires for your car, model of car you drive, fast food joint, or anything at all.  This bias is what places a value on a particular item. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.