Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Showing up as revolving

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Charge Showing up as revolving

@ArisGreek wrote:

Rockin'! Thanks, Fused. Man Very Happy

I should have been more clear. Your Zync card is not factoring in FICO revolving util calculations with EQ and EX. TU might be a diffrent story, tho. The TU score at this site is an older version, TU 98, and it DOES factor Amex cards in FICO revolving util calculations. The newer score version, TU 04, doesn't not factor Amex cards in FICO revolving util calculations. So, depending on which TU version a lender uses, Amex charge cards might factor in TU FICO revolving util calculations

Message 11 of 18
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

I find that with my AMEX if I pay in full before close date it may not report as zero....that's the highest my statement has ever been...i try to pay in full before my statement cuts but it seems to be floating up to 5 days before statement cuts.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 12 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:

On EX reports, all Amex charge cards should report the folowing:

Account type: Credit Card - Revolving Terms

Terms: 1 month

Do you see this?

Glad you mentioned the "Terms: 1 month" part, because I always forget this.

Here's how my closed Gold card looks on EX. The "Terms: 1 Month" ("months??") is right under Type:

ex gold.jpg

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@jnydc wrote:

When they are showing your "high balance" is that the highest reported to the credit agencies after the statement cuts..or the highest you have ever let your balance get even if you PIF before the statement cuts?

American Express reports the highest ever statement balance. Every other CC I've seen reports the highest balance as of any time during your billing cycle, even if you paid it off and it wound up reporting $0.

So my old AmEx Gold shows a highest balance of $64, even though it got way higher than that at times.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 18
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

I've tried paying it the day before and 2 days before statement is scheduled to cut and it still seem to reports a balance even though no payment is due...It seems so weird :-/ I really can't figure it out. Maybe I should just call and ask.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 15 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ArisGreek wrote:

I've tried paying it the day before and 2 days before statement is scheduled to cut and it still seem to reports a balance even though no payment is due...It seems so weird :-/ I really can't figure it out. Maybe I should just call and ask.

Well, the other odd thing that American Express does (although they're starting to change on some cards) is that they report the balance on your statement, but they don't send it in until four weeks later; in other words, 2-3 days before the next statement hits. In effect, this makes the balance displayed on your reports almost a month behind. It will look something like this (all dates invented for example's sake):

10/15 statement: $50 balance due

...  <--time passes

(reports keep showing 9/15 balance, whatever that was)

11/12-ish: reports update to show $50 balance

11/15 statement: $100 balance due

(reports keep showing 10/15's $50 balance)

12/13-ish: reports update to show $100

12/15 statement: $0 due

(reports keep showing 11/15's $100 balance)

1/12-ish: reports update to show $0

1/15 statement: $500 due

(reports keep showing 12/15's $0 balance)

2/12-ish: reports update to show $500

2/15 statement: $0 due

(but your reports will continue to show $500 due for another four weeks or so)

This made me so crazy that American Express became the first card that I always paid before the statement date. Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 18
jnydc
Contributor

Is that a bad thing...will that look bad to future creditors that it appears you don't use your card?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@jnydc wrote:

When they are showing your "high balance" is that the highest reported to the credit agencies after the statement cuts..or the highest you have ever let your balance get even if you PIF before the statement cuts?

American Express reports the highest ever statement balance. Every other CC I've seen reports the highest balance as of any time during your billing cycle, even if you paid it off and it wound up reporting $0.

So my old AmEx Gold shows a highest balance of $64, even though it got way higher than that at times.

2009 Credit Portfolio: First Premier 450, Orchard Bank 400

2012 Credit Portfolio: AMEX; Gold, Zync, & Clear 5k
Citi Platinum Select 2k, Home Depot Store (Citi) 4k, Discover More 10k, Barclays Apple 2k, Cap 1 (secured) 2.5k
Message 17 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@jnydc wrote:

Is that a bad thing...will that look bad to future creditors that it appears you don't use your card?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@jnydc wrote:

Eh, who knows???

Even if they notice it, there's a good chance that they're aware of this. It doesn't seem to have hurt me anywhere, with my whopping highest balance of $64. All my approvals since then have been for nice, big CL's, mostly because I like CU's!

What with so many instant approvals (and denials) these days, I doubt that very many lenders look at that.

If you ever find yourself seated across from a banker, sweating bullets as s/he examines your reports, you can mention AE's odd little quirk in this department. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.