Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Check Your Spending Ability

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Check Your Spending Ability

Without starting the debate about why one should never do this, why would one do this on a revolver?  Makes sense for "testing" the internal limit of a charge card, but not a revolver.  Is it an obscure way of them saying you can exceed your posted CL?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Check Your Spending Ability

Just to see what would happen I put in an amount just above my limit on my revolver and it was approved. Then I put in a few way above and they would not go through.

Message 2 of 21
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

Just to see what would happen I put in an amount just above my limit on my revolver and it was approved. Then I put in a few way above and they would not go through.

you can go over the limit on your AMEX revolvers (like a Visa Signature).  the portion of your balance that is over your limit will be added to your minimum payment and due in Full by your payment due date.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 21
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

you can go over the limit on your AMEX revolvers (like a Visa Signature).  the portion of your balance that is over your limit will be added to your minimum payment and due in Full by your payment due date.

Oh okay. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

Message 4 of 21
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

Have you ever done that? Just curious ...

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 5 of 21
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@shakalaka wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

Wow very interesting, I have never heard of this before and if its true then another reason to like AMEX even more IMO!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 6 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I've heard of it before. It is basically just like having a visa sig/world mc but amex lets you check to sew how far over you can go.
Message 7 of 21
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@shakalaka wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

No I haven't had the need to, but I have charged 3x the limit on my revolver on my Green...  I don't see why they wouldn't let me charge that much on my revolver if they will on my charge...  once it's open for over a year I might see what they will let me charge in a month.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 21
chnceit
Valued Contributor

So I tried my "Spending Ability" for my Blue that has a $8.3K CL and it went up to $18K WOW! Smiley Surprised Cool!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 9 of 21
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

I think I played around with mine too much and got locked out of it.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.