Did you mean: 

AMEX: Check Your Spending Limit

tag
n777ua
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX: Check Your Spending Limit

@tntexans72 wrote:
Why a shortcut to FR?

When I got FR'd after using the button, one of their CSR's told me that Amex sees this as an amount you are going to try and charge.  Also, if the amounts are different, they see those as cumulative charges (This was back in '03 when I was told this).  So, if you like to play with the button and try 5k, 7k, and 10k, then Amex thinks you'll try and charge 22k . . . and if you normally charge, say, 2k/mo, that is a huge red flag.  The button is there to avoid a decline for an out of pattern / large purchase ie to aid the accountholder.  If you just play with it to play with it, you might as well call Amex and tell 'em to FR you.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 21 of 32
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

FR?

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 22 of 32
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

Financial Review

Message 23 of 32
shane82388
Established Contributor

Financial Review.

Message 24 of 32
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

or having an AU who used the card more than the primary card holder all seem to be high risk for FR.

i am glad that someone here dosen't feel so apprehesive about using the tool. i mostly feel that checking the spending ability often ought to be harmless. then again maybe not.. perhaps it is how the checking is being handled rather than how often.

my au has been part of my blue cash since january, and i would have to say 75 percent of what goes through that card is swiped by my au. i have observed that amex has gone at least 3 months some time this year without ARing me.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 25 of 32
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i think that amex may be more sensitive about this checking tool with the charge accounts rather than the lending accounts. knowing what limit you have and checking it not to much above the max might keep them from putting you in the FR box.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 26 of 32
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

Playing with that button too much is a short cut to a FR.   Trust me on this.

Sounds like a YMMV situation...I have been a regular at testing my spending limit (checked it just last week as a matter of fact), even posted a few times about checking my spending limit, and have not triggered a financial review. I am not talking about trying a $1,000 or even a $5,000 test charge, I went up as high as $50,000. I am guessing that my "relationship" with Amex developed over time (~15 months) and they really didn't bother me since I charge anywhere between 5-9K per month and PIF without issues (work expenses). Again, it probably varies by individual. I am not saying anyone should just go out there and start hitting the button every week but wanted to share my experience on the topic...

Message 27 of 32
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Back in the late 80's I think you could call in to check your spending availability (I remember it being listed that way somewhere, don't remember seeing the term "spending limit" back then).  I never called to check, I just used the card and always had a backup "in case".   Having recently gotten back in with AMEX I still don't plan on ever checking my spending limit, either by calling or hitting that button online. I actually haven't used the card yet at all. I only hope they don't mind that as I have other cards with much better rewards, like others on here I mostly wanted it due to the AAOA feature and maybe to get another type card from them later.

An FR costs at least 57$ out of your pocket (along with being a slight PITA with time and forms) for the privilege of carrying a card with an annual fee and little rewards (it's main reward being backdating really). Why would I want a card to cost me more than it has to? I kind of wonder why someone who could PIF a charge card for nearly 10k or 15k would even have to check their spending limit, to me (and maybe to AMEX) someone that could, would just swipe the card and be able to pay some other way if declined. So I can see how checking could cause an FR.

Yes, it is YMMV, back in the 80's my parents put a car (not the down payment, the full purchase price) on an AMEX because Dad didn't bring a checkbook on trip, only cash and cards. They stopped in to "just look" at the Lincoln dealer a few hours into their trip. Dad thought he was safe by saying he didn't bring a checkbook, only credit cards, the dealer said he could probably use a card, asked to see it, told Dad "oh yeah, you can probably put it on this"... Mom just laughed a bit and they drove off in a newer Town Car. No call in, no FR later. They didn't usually charge thousands or even hundreds on the card per month, I think they just had a very good credit history. Not long after that, Dad put the AMEX along with other high limit cards in the safe and later closed it. He didn't feel safe carrying cards with 20k and up limits (he also didn't like paying a fee to have it). I think their highest limit card back then was 150k (I think he called them and told them if they wanted him to carry and use it they'd have to lower the limit and why).

Frankly, for me at least, when it comes to clicking that button, I think of that old saying "curiosity killed the cat". Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 28 of 32
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

@Iincognito wrote:

@n777ua wrote:

Playing with that button too much is a short cut to a FR.   Trust me on this.

Sounds like a YMMV situation...I have been a regular at testing my spending limit (checked it just last week as a matter of fact), even posted a few times about checking my spending limit, and have not triggered a financial review. I am not talking about trying a $1,000 or even a $5,000 test charge, I went up as high as $50,000. I am guessing that my "relationship" with Amex developed over time (~15 months) and they really didn't bother me since I charge anywhere between 5-9K per month and PIF without issues (work expenses). Again, it probably varies by individual. I am not saying anyone should just go out there and start hitting the button every week but wanted to share my experience on the topic...

15 months is by no means an established history with AMEX. And if you normally spend 5-10K a month and then put 50K on the card, I am willing to bet that most people who do that will have a FR the following month.

Message 29 of 32
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Back in the late 80's I think you could call in to check your spending availability (I remember it being listed that way somewhere, don't remember seeing the term "spending limit" back then).  I never called to check, I just used the card and always had a backup "in case".   Having recently gotten back in with AMEX I still don't plan on ever checking my spending limit, either by calling or hitting that button online. I actually haven't used the card yet at all. I only hope they don't mind that as I have other cards with much better rewards, like others on here I mostly wanted it due to the AAOA feature and maybe to get another type card from them later.

An FR costs at least 57$ out of your pocket (along with being a slight PITA with time and forms) for the privilege of carrying a card with an annual fee and little rewards (it's main reward being backdating really). Why would I want a card to cost me more than it has to? I kind of wonder why someone who could PIF a charge card for nearly 10k or 15k would even have to check their spending limit, to me (and maybe to AMEX) someone that could, would just swipe the card and be able to pay some other way if declined. So I can see how checking could cause an FR.

Yes, it is YMMV, back in the 80's my parents put a car (not the down payment, the full purchase price) on an AMEX because Dad didn't bring a checkbook on trip, only cash and cards. They stopped in to "just look" at the Lincoln dealer a few hours into their trip. Dad thought he was safe by saying he didn't bring a checkbook, only credit cards, the dealer said he could probably use a card, asked to see it, told Dad "oh yeah, you can probably put it on this"... Mom just laughed a bit and they drove off in a newer Town Car. No call in, no FR later. They didn't usually charge thousands or even hundreds on the card per month, I think they just had a very good credit history. Not long after that, Dad put the AMEX along with other high limit cards in the safe and later closed it. He didn't feel safe carrying cards with 20k and up limits (he also didn't like paying a fee to have it). I think their highest limit card back then was 150k (I think he called them and told them if they wanted him to carry and use it they'd have to lower the limit and why).

Frankly, for me at least, when it comes to clicking that button, I think of that old saying "curiosity killed the cat". Smiley Happy

I think things were very much different in the 80's than they are now.  I do not believe that the dreaded FR existed back then in the form it does now. If my spending back then exceeded my usual and customary I would get a call from AMEX and they would ask a few questions about income or what the charge was and if that was going to be a new usual amount for me and they would either yay or nay it. Boy have times changed....

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.