Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Clear PC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Clear PC

Hey all,

I've got a few questions that hopefully someone will have an answer to.

1.  Has anyone successfully done a PC from their Clear to BCE (or anything)?

2.  Do length of membership or util affect your ability to PC a PC eligible card?  In other words, is it likely that AMEX will deny you a PC even if your card is one that can be PCed?

3.  Any reason not to PC from Clear to BCE? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX Clear PC

quick call into CSR and they can tell you if and what you are able to PC into. Clear might be one that you can't change.

Util, credit, etc have no effect... they don't look or care, must have first card at least 1 year, but oherwise you can product change like every 30 days.

I have PC a maxed out card and when new annual fee for new PC card hit I went over limit, didn't charge or anything just made me pay higher min.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

quick call into CSR and they can tell you if and what you are able to PC into. Clear might be one that you can't change.

Util, credit, etc have no effect... they don't look or care, must have first card at least 1 year, but oherwise you can product change like every 30 days.

I have PC a maxed out card and when new annual fee for new PC card hit I went over limit, didn't charge or anything just made me pay higher min.

Must have the card for 1 year?  Damn.  I might be better off just apping for the BCE.  I got the Clear in April 2011.

Message 3 of 10
johnnie198x
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Must have the card for 1 year?  Damn.  I might be better off just apping for the BCE.  I got the Clear in April 2011.

Is Clear a charge or a credit card? If it's credit, then it should very quick. I just called to PC Amex Blue Cash to Blue Cash Everyday since BCE doesn't have spending requirement. It took like 5 seconds.

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 4 of 10
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

AMEX will allow a PC after 13 months...

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@CreditMuppet wrote:

I heard this is true... except for their clear card. That card in paticular can not be PCd into or out of.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@CreditMuppet wrote:

I heard this is true... except for their clear card. That card in paticular can not be PCd into or out of.

Yea that's what I thought too, but I've heard (read) that people have gotten their Clear PCed.  It was a 2011 thread too.  Either way, I don't want to wait until next April to find out and I'll app for the BCE in a couple of months anyway.

Message 7 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I was kicking tires on doing a PC from Clear to Blue Cash Everyday as recently as a month ago. The CSR I spoke to said it would be no problem at all. Both my card and my AU's card would become BCE pretty much right away and within a few days the new cards would be mailed out. I've had the account since March of this year. A few days later I called in for another issue, and just to do a sanity check I inquired about the PC again, and was once again told I could do it without issue.

Message 8 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

3.  Any reason not to PC from Clear to BCE? 

Take a look at the transaction fees for cash advances. If you're enrolled in Express Cash, and might want to take advantage of the occasional ATM cash advance, there is no cash advance transaction fee with Clear. Most of the Amex cards carry a $10 (or $5?) cash advance transaction fee, typical of most cards.

Ultimately, that's the one reason I didn't do the PC to BCE. I sometimes travel to areas where my primary bank (BB&T) isn't readily accessible and if I need to grab some cash from an ATM I can hit an ATM at 7-Eleven or Sheetz or something, only paying the ATM owner's fee, if any, and not have to worry about the $2.50 BB&T would also charge for the foreign ATM. Then, immediately apply a payment to the AMEX, suppressing any finance charges (remember, there is no grace period).

Will I ever need it? Probably not. Smiley Happy But it's nice to know it's there.

I will probably add a BCE or BCP next year sometime. I have a BK due to fall off 5/2012 (which happened to include $4500 to AMEX). After that's off the record, I'll do something to grow the account.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the info everyone.  I'm still really on the ropes regarding this and the BCE.  Not sure if I want to keep it and app for the BCE or try and get a PC even though my Clear is only 5 months old.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.