Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - Costco Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX - Costco Card

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmmm...the Amex CSR said I should get a nice increase after 60 days.

Did they specify how long after 60 days Smiley Very Happy? I'm still at $2,000 after 9 months.

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to apply for this card..

Does anyone know whether I should do it in store or online?  (i.e. is the approval process faster in store.??)

Thanks

Message 22 of 31
pattycake
Established Contributor

Approval process in store is immediate. You have an answer within about 60 seconds.
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 23 of 31
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Go to the store!

They almost always pull EX. Make sure your address is accurate or it may trigger a 7-10 delay.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved instantly! Thanks guys. A little disapointed with the CL ($2,000) but very happy overall.. FYI exactly a year ago I was denied.

What's the best practice with Amex? What utilization ratio would you recommend? My monthly expenses with the card (counting gas, costco and restaurants) should be close to $600 which seems rather high for a $2,000 limit.

$600 would be an utilization ratio of 30 percent. Is that acceptable?

What if right before my statement drops I make a $401 payment to keep the utilization ratio below 10 percent?

Message 25 of 31
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Why do you want to have a balance report? And AmEx does not like balances to be carried, by new members at any rate.

American Express can be all over the map, but most of us do well to use it a lot through the month and then PIF. Rinse, wash, and repeat.

Just a note: banks don't care about the let-something-report-and-then-PIF. That's a FICO scoring issue. Banks care about whether you do or don't pay in full every month --before or after the statement date is of no concern to them, as long as it's before the due date. Until AmEx gets used to you, you'd be wise to pay in full at some point before the due date.

One good reason to have $0 report on AmEx, even if you aren't trying to maximize your FICO's, is that they report the balance on your statement, but they don't actually send in that info for another four weeks. So your first statement might appear on 12/22. If you have a balance of $100 showing on that statement, your reports will show a $0 balance (or won't show the account at all yet, as it's new), and then on 1/19, AmEx will report that balance, and you'll have $100 showing up on your reports. It will stay there until (at a guess) 2/19, even if you paid that $100 off back on 12/23. This can be frustrating if an opportunity pops up, and you don't want to have a balance reporting.

Anyway, congrats on the card. That's a good one.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

One other question..

I'm a new Amex user. This month I ended up using the Amex a lot due to Christmas and the fact that I'm in charge of food supplies with my company.

I have $270 of credit available for a $2,000 limit (i'm no longer using the card). Is it OK? I always pay my bill in full or close to before my statement drops.

I have scheduled two bill payments from my 2 checking account but it's going to take a couple days to process (Amex won't let me do it from their website since I've paid my previous statement balance already). Should I give amex a call to let them know that I'm gonna clear that high balance?

I've become a little paranoid with Amex after reading several comments on this forum. Thanks.

Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

One other question..

I'm a new Amex user. This month I ended up using the Amex a lot due to Christmas and the fact that I'm in charge of food supplies with my company.

I have $270 of credit available for a $2,000 limit (i'm no longer using the card). Is it OK? I always pay my bill in full or close to before my statement drops.

I have scheduled two bill payments from my 2 checking account but it's going to take a couple days to process (Amex won't let me do it from their website since I've paid my previous statement balance already). Should I give amex a call to let them know that I'm gonna clear that high balance?

I've become a little paranoid with Amex after reading several comments on this forum. Thanks.

I would say it's not that big of a deal especially if the payments are on their way BUT you never know with Amex.  

@this is directed @ Amex - God forbid your customers actually use your product.
No one else finds it unacceptable  that Amex has their customers so scared stiff that they feel the need to call in just to let them know the payment is processing?
This is not a company - it's more like a loan shark.  

Message 28 of 31
-RED
Regular Contributor

AMEX is no joke, once with them, they will watch you monthly.

Also when they put you on hold with music, they record every word you say, so don't say anything you do not what them to here, because that is why they do it in the first place.

-800 or Bust...!
Message 29 of 31
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@-RED wrote:

AMEX is no joke, once with them, they will watch you monthly.

Also when they put you on hold with music, they record every word you say, so don't say anything you do not what them to here, because that is why they do it in the first place.

Could you please share with us how you know this?

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.