tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Costco card

@bobbay wrote:

@bobbay wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This may have been covered already. If so, apologies in advance.

@Anonymous wrote:

You can only apply online for another product if you want to replace having that one which I believe probably entails a new HP.  Good information to have but I am surprised that AMEX isn't offering some type of replacement if you are in good standing with them.

There have been many threads on the fate of the TE, possible replacements and the BCE offers that TE holders have been receiving.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=costco%20american%20express%20site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com&es_th=1

As SunriseEarth said, the situation with the portfolio is still pending despite all the rumors and speculation.

I am willing to speculate they are taking over the AMEX portfolio.  They made a pretty big stink after the deal was announced resulting in Amex discontinuing the practice of backdating.  Time will tell but I am going to sit back and wait for them to send my Citi replacement card in March.  I am curious to see the age of account when they take it over and and report if its 2 years of history or 22 years.

got my letter today "Costco American Express Card holders need not apply for new credit cards...we assure you citi and visa are focused on a smooth transition"

We all got that letter, mainly because Costco felt something needed to be said.  Most likely, Citi will acquire the portfolio from AMEX.   However, will they be able to transition the portfolio by March 31st?  A $15 billion deal is definitely record-breaking for a cobranded portfolio.   I'm curious to see what happens.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 41 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:
If those turn out to be the rewards on this card, Citi will curse the day they got mixed up with Costco. After all, they're only getting 0.4% of every transaction at Costco. I doubt that card will get much 1% spending, even at Costco.celluloid

Citibank is the worst run of all the major American Banks, and it would be a mistake to underestimate their propensity to make financially cancerous deals.  While it's universally accepted that their stupidity knows no bounds, not even they would be dumb enough to offer 5/3/2 on a no annual fee card.  

Just curious, how do you know they're only getting 0.4%?

I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment of your post, but this will be far from disastrous for Citi.  A lot of people use their current TE as a daily driver, not just at Costco (as it stands, the Amex variant only gives 1% back for actually shopping at Costco) and I imagine the same will apply for the Costco Citi card.  What Citi is primarily getting in this deal is access to a large pool of relatively affluent clients.  Studies have shown that most Costco members earn over $100k a year and for the non credit jugglers out there, they will simply be looking for another card that can serve multiple functions along with the added convenience of being accepted at Costco (complete with photo - another layer of security other cards don't have).  It would behoove Citi to keep those people in their product(s) by offering a competitive reward structure on their new Costco co-brand, especially now that their card(s) will be competing with every other Visa in a person's wallet.

@Anonymous wrote:
rewards will be better. My GM just came back from Seattle and he mentioned a few things from the meeting.( I work for Costco) what im hearing , just hearing lol so dont take it serious just yet haha, is that it will be 5 % gas 3% dinning/ travel 2 everything else.again that's just something i heard. CSR don't really know what they're talking about , there just trained to say whats in front of them (no disrespect.) Im sure when the time gets near there will be a product change, or better yet when they do honor the Citi TE visa that the portfolio will continue to keep your AAOA since itll be a co branded card chances will be greater for approvals even with BK only thing to worry about is your SL so make sure to transfer those trade lines to another amex !Smiley Happy

I could see citi trying the rewards structure racer lists for the reasons celluloid mentions. It would hit the 3/5% threshold on travel, groceries, and gas which are the top rewards most people go after and offer 2% on general spend which could replace the QS or dc for many people. Granted the latter is their own product so that would be a wash. They could easily capture the market segment that doesn't want to remember what discover, cash+, freedom, etc are offering that month or that don't want to carry multiple cards. 

The more they can get people to use the card outside of costco, the more they can retain in swipe fees. Also, for all those that dont PIF, they will earn more in interest from them if they can capture a higher percentage of that individuals spend. 

Citi is going to have to do something big to convince people to use the citi Costco visa instead of an existing one or their debit card. Sams and MC had a similar reward structure work somehow. 

Message 42 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I could see citi trying the rewards structure racer lists for the reasons celluloid mentions. It would hit the 3/5% threshold on travel, groceries, and gas which are the top rewards most people go after and offer 2% on general spend which could replace the QS or dc for many people. Granted the latter is their own product so that would be a wash. They could easily capture the market segment that doesn't want to remember what discover, cash+, freedom, etc are offering that month or that don't want to carry multiple cards. 

Given current swipe fees, a no-fee 2% general cashback card is unstainable for long term profitability.

The only exceptions that I know of are Fid Amex and Barclays Priceline.  The former is offered more to augment their investment business, and the latter an unstainable structure with few enough cardmembers where Barclays can afford to grandfather in the benefit.  In Fidelity's case, their Visa card only earns 1.5% for the first $15K.  Amex's higher swipe fees over Visa is the only reason the Fid Amex is 2% right from the onset.

The odds of Citi offering no-annual fee card with a 3/5% and 2% on general spend casback card would be ZERO.

Message 43 of 48
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

Just had an on-line chat (and lowered by existing Blue another 2% down to 10.74... waiting a few more months and doing it again!) and the rep stated that before March I would proactively received a BCE with no AF or I could apply for any other card. Not sure if that was based on my account history or just a general response. Also... it was one rep saying something. My experience w/Amex is that their reps tend not to be too "inventive" with responses like that.

Based on that ... I'm going to keep trying to drive the APR on the Costco card down hoping Citi will keep it and Amex will give me a new BCE with that rate too Smiley Happy

Message 44 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Given current swipe fees, a no-fee 2% general cashback card is unstainable for long term profitability.

The only exceptions that I know of are Fid Amex and Barclays Priceline.  The former is offered more to augment their investment business, and the latter an unstainable structure with few enough cardmembers where Barclays can afford to grandfather in the benefit.  In Fidelity's case, their Visa card only earns 1.5% for the first $15K.  Amex's higher swipe fees over Visa is the only reason the Fid Amex is 2% right from the onset.

The odds of Citi offering no-annual fee card with a 3/5% and 2% on general spend casback card would be ZERO.

Yes, if they made the mistake of having a grace period!

Message 45 of 48
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

On the bright side, I guess I'll finally get a free EQ  FICO 08 score.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 46 of 48
tavalon
Established Member

As someone who despises AMEX, I asked Costco to ditch them and while it wasn't my input that made it happen, I'm happy. I'm switching my balance from my Costco card to another AMEX and while I don't close accounts, that one will be mothballed.

Message 47 of 48
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It will convert to the new issuer and card!
Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.