Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Credit Line Decrease Question

tag
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Credit Line Decrease Question

So on May 24th, my credit line on my smallest AMEX account was decreased from 1600 --> 1000. The reason listed in a letter sent to me was because of a cash advance I took. I have never taken an advance but had left my wallet at home and had one card in my bike bag... long story short I took $200 out in cash and they lowered my credit line near my statement as a result. What's funny is that I paid the balance in full before the statement cut and they gave me back automatically the credit line they had removed 8 days later.

SOOOOO... My question is this... I have been trying to reallocate credit lines and the reason that keeps coming back is that my credit line has been recently decreased. Does that mean that just like the 180 day wait for credit line increases, that I must wait 180 days for any other type of move/increase? Or just 90 days? So frustrating that they encouraged the cash advance by sending me a PIN and then punished me for it and even put in writing that it was because of my cash advance. Lesson learned.. no cash advances with AMEX period.

So... anyone have a thought on when this "recent credit line decrease" message will go away and allow me to proceed? I asked customer service and they (as usual) have been all over the place with answers of 30, 60 and 90 days from three different reps. SHRUG.

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX Credit Line Decrease Question

I would treat it the ssme as a credit limit increase, give it 180 days to be safe. I could be wrong, but maybe give it time. I agree with you, silly to punish someone for using a feature that many credit cards seem to love to flaunt but dont want you to use. Go figureSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

We kind of need an "unknown rules of credit card issuers" thread.

1.) Never get a cash advance on your American Express card.  They offer it, but don't actually use it.

2.) Never get a balance transfer on your Barclaycard card. They will mail you numerous checks and do this for no fee, but unless you pay it in full after the next statement they will balance chase you or close your account. They do not want you to pay this off over time.

3.) Never get a balance transfer on your Barclaycard card. They will mail you numerous checks and do this for no fee, but unless you pay this off over time they will balance chase you or close your account. They do not want you to pay it in full after the first statement.

Okay, maybe just those 3 cover it. Sorry about the CLD, OP. No harm in trying after 30 days, really.  If it's too soon, it won't reset any kind of counter.  Not sure if a CLD is treated the same as a decline, which would be 181 91 days.  The reinstatement I would assume is treated like an auto-CLI which doesn't reset any clocks.

(Edit: Noticed when I was quoted below that I made a typo above.  With Amex, you are not eligible for a credit line increase until after 90 days have passed since a declined CLI request, or after 180 days have passed since you last received a cardholder-requested CLI.)

Message 3 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

I can't speak for AMEX, but did experience this with Discover. 

They gave me a promotional temporary CLI from $5k to $8k, good for 12 months, from mid-2014 to mid-2015.

On expiration of the 12 months, CL Decrease from $8k to $5k.

I thought it would be an easy request to get a CLI a few days later, but was disabused of that notion. 

No CLI within a time period after CLD with Discover. I think it was 90 days.

My Discover CL is now at $15,500 so I would expect this too shall pass, and OP AMEX CLI will also begin again.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

1.) Never get a cash advance on your American Express card.  They offer it, but don't actually use it.

2.) Never get a balance transfer on your Barclaycard card. They will mail you numerous checks and do this for no fee, but unless you pay it in full after the next statement they will balance chase you or close your account. They do not want you to pay this off over time.

3.) Never get a balance transfer on your Barclaycard card. They will mail you numerous checks and do this for no fee, but unless you pay this off over time they will balance chase you or close your account. They do not want you to pay it in full after the first statement.

Okay, maybe just those 3 cover it. Sorry about the CLD, OP. No harm in trying after 30 days, really.  If it's too soon, it won't reset any kind of counter.  Not sure if a CLD is treated the same as a decline, which would be 181 days.  The reinstatement I would assume is treated like an auto-CLI which doesn't reset any clocks.

I have used my Barclays cards for BTs several times and never have had any issues whatsoever.

Message 5 of 16
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Okay, maybe just those 3 cover it. Sorry about the CLD, OP. No harm in trying after 30 days, really.  If it's too soon, it won't reset any kind of counter.  Not sure if a CLD is treated the same as a decline, which would be 181 days.  The reinstatement I would assume is treated like an auto-CLI which doesn't reset any clocks.

I have used my Barclays cards for BTs several times and never have had any issues whatsoever.

+1  I have even cashed 5 or 6 1k-3k convenience checks into my personal account and paid them off as lengthy as 4 months and never a CLD. 

Message 6 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Sorry, I thought #2 and #3 directly contradicting each other was enough to show that my statements were tongue in cheek.  Smiley Tongue

That said, we have seen AA for all 3 of those reasons given but it certainly doesn't happen to everyone.  Could be as simple as they saw something or some things on a SP review that their computers didn't like and those are just the reasons they're pulling at random out of a hat.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Sorry, I thought #2 and #3 directly contradicting each other was enough to show that my statements were tongue in cheek.  Smiley Tongue

That said, we have seen AA for all 3 of those reasons given but it certainly doesn't happen to everyone.  Could be as simple as they saw something or some things on a SP review that their computers didn't like and those are just the reasons they're pulling at random out of a hat.

Hah.  I never read past #2.  Guess I should have.  As for what actually causes an AA with Barclays or any creditor, an educated guess, based on what information that the person reporting the AA gives us, is the best we can do.  Often facts are left out so those guesses are commonly completely wrong .

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

+1

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

+1  I have even cashed 5 or 6 1k-3k convenience checks into my personal account and paid them off as lengthy as 4 months and never a CLD. 

+1

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.