cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Credit Line Decreased. Whats next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Credit Line Decreased. Whats next?

How come my fight instinct told me that I would just go app a Venture card and if approved for a good limit, BT most of that card? Disclaimer: not giving financial advice here. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. As you pay more, they will continue to decrease your limit until feel like you can handle your limit.
Message 22 of 25
hotGQ161
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes. As you pay more, they will continue to decrease your limit until feel like you can handle your limit.

YEAH THAT SUCKS

Message 23 of 25
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bada_bing wrote:

One other possible factor in the cld might be the change in employment. AMEX is

the only issuer I deal with that pulls my employment SP from theworknumber

They pull me there about once a year. All they can see with a SP is that I have the same

Employer that participates in reporting to theworknumber. If the OP was employed at a

Participating employer, AMEX could possibly see he was no longer employed there. Might

Have made them nervous along with the increased utilization.

Hey bada, can you explain how that "work number" employment verification works??? I work for BNSF Railway and they use the same. I've been giving out the work number phone number on all CC applications. From how it was explained to me, creditors can call the "work number" to confirm your employment status. However, in order to receive salary information, I have to give them some "key". This "key", which is only good for a certain number of days, allows them to get my salary numbers. Is this correct ??? Thanks. 

That is pretty much how it works, as far as I know. You have to have your employer generate a key

to give out for a full report to be issued. Creditors can pull just your employment status without permission

or notification. You can go to the website and pull your own report for free. Mine is very detailed, showing

the amount and date of every paycheck and bonus, not just a total amount.

I don't know how many employers are participating in theworknumber. Probably only large employers. I work

for a very large, evil megacorp with large HR and payroll department. Theworknumber is a trade-off IMO. It

seems a little intrusive, but it also allows things like mortgage applications to expedite. 

Amex pulls a theworknumber employment report on me every fall. You can see who has pulled you on the free

report you can get on yourself, if you are interested. I would be curious what AMEX uses the info for, but I would

guess that a change in the employment of a card holder triggers increased scrutiny. That could have happened to

the OP of this thread, if they had been working for a participating employer.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 24 of 25
hotGQ161
Valued Member

@bada_bing wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bada_bing wrote:

One other possible factor in the cld might be the change in employment. AMEX is

the only issuer I deal with that pulls my employment SP from theworknumber

They pull me there about once a year. All they can see with a SP is that I have the same

Employer that participates in reporting to theworknumber. If the OP was employed at a

Participating employer, AMEX could possibly see he was no longer employed there. Might

Have made them nervous along with the increased utilization.

Hey bada, can you explain how that "work number" employment verification works??? I work for BNSF Railway and they use the same. I've been giving out the work number phone number on all CC applications. From how it was explained to me, creditors can call the "work number" to confirm your employment status. However, in order to receive salary information, I have to give them some "key". This "key", which is only good for a certain number of days, allows them to get my salary numbers. Is this correct ??? Thanks. 

That is pretty much how it works, as far as I know. You have to have your employer generate a key

to give out for a full report to be issued. Creditors can pull just your employment status without permission

or notification. You can go to the website and pull your own report for free. Mine is very detailed, showing

the amount and date of every paycheck and bonus, not just a total amount.

I don't know how many employers are participating in theworknumber. Probably only large employers. I work

for a very large, evil megacorp with large HR and payroll department. Theworknumber is a trade-off IMO. It

seems a little intrusive, but it also allows things like mortgage applications to expedite. 

Amex pulls a theworknumber employment report on me every fall. You can see who has pulled you on the free

report you can get on yourself, if you are interested. I would be curious what AMEX uses the info for, but I would

guess that a change in the employment of a card holder triggers increased scrutiny. That could have happened to

the OP of this thread, if they had been working for a participating employer.

Should i call amex and update my employment all across my cards? and one thing i have not heaqr yes is if in the future i will be able to get my CL back up to my $14K CL i had. 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.