Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Credit card question

tag
TJNDND
Established Member

AMEX Credit card question

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone knows the "typical" scores they accept for an AMEX card.  I know that's not the only factor, but I'm just wondering what AMEX card gives applicants the highest odds of acceptance.

Also - sorry I'm new here - what is "the garden"????

Thanks,

TJ

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Credit card question

@TJNDND wrote:

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone knows the "typical" scores they accept for an AMEX card.  I know that's not the only factor, but I'm just wondering what AMEX card gives applicants the highest odds of acceptance.

Also - sorry I'm new here - what is "the garden"????

Thanks,

TJ

Welcome to the forum

AMEX has it's on internal scoring system

The easier cards to get your foot in the door with amex are charge cards 

The garden is when you don't apply for any new credit while you let your existing TL's grow accounts age, etc etc 

check the thread that say garden club meeting and read the 1st page for a good summary 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 14
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Welcome!!

As to your question....AMEX score approvals can be all over the place because it is not just about the score only....

You would get better advice if you tell us more about your credit picture.

Garden...is the time you spend not applying for anything...letting your accounts age and inquiries fall off. 

*8/10/13
Message 3 of 14
TJNDND
Established Member

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.  Credit history is as follows:

2 recent hard inquiries

Scores:  Equifax 679, Experian, 683, TU - ???

1  30 day late car payment in 2011

A couple old collection accounts from 2006/2007

Average age of accounts is 8 years.  Oldest account is 39 years (fathers sears card is showing on my reports for some reason)

Only credit debt I have is an unsecured capital one card (1000 limit, 0 balance), 17000 in student loans, and 1533 left on my car payments.

Any suggestions for what "type" of AMEX card I "should" be OK to apply for.  I've been reading about the green, but I honestly probably won't use it enough to jusitfy the annual fee.  I really just want to increase my available credit "just in case" and hopefully to improve my scores.

Thanks again!

TJ

Message 4 of 14
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@TJNDND wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.  Credit history is as follows:

2 recent hard inquiries

Scores:  Equifax 679, Experian, 683, TU - ???

1  30 day late car payment in 2011

A couple old collection accounts from 2006/2007

Average age of accounts is 8 years.  Oldest account is 39 years (fathers sears card is showing on my reports for some reason)

Only credit debt I have is an unsecured capital one card (1000 limit, 0 balance), 17000 in student loans, and 1533 left on my car payments.

Any suggestions for what "type" of AMEX card I "should" be OK to apply for.  I've been reading about the green, but I honestly probably won't use it enough to jusitfy the annual fee.  I really just want to increase my available credit "just in case" and hopefully to improve my scores.

Thanks again!

TJ

It is true that the AMEX charge cards seem to be a little easier to get. That is were most people start to get their foot in the door before applying for a revolving card with them.

Next in line I would say is the AMEX Gold Delta as far as a revolving card goes.

How long have you had your CapOne card??

*8/10/13
Message 5 of 14
winner88
Contributor

for a charge card, EX FICO 670+ should suffice.

EQ 772
TU 764
Message 6 of 14
TJNDND
Established Member

Only about 2 months for the Capital One card.  I tried applying for a Citi Simplicity card like my wife has, but was declined.  I'm trying to get at least one more card to A. increase my available credit, and B. find one with a low interest rate since the Capital One card is like 24.99% or something.

Suggestions for any other cards that might be within my reach would be appreciated as well as I know that the AMEX cards are not revolving.  Had I known this forum was here I probably would have asked before wasting my time with the Citi application....

Thanks again - this forum is great!

TJ

Message 7 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

@TJNDND wrote:

Only about 2 months for the Capital One card.  I tried applying for a Citi Simplicity card like my wife has, but was declined.  I'm trying to get at least one more card to A. increase my available credit, and B. find one with a low interest rate since the Capital One card is like 24.99% or something.

Suggestions for any other cards that might be within my reach would be appreciated as well as I know that the AMEX cards are not revolving.  Had I known this forum was here I probably would have asked before wasting my time with the Citi application....

Thanks again - this forum is great!

TJ

When you start to see declines it's time to stop applying and let your accounts age a bit.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 14
TwinGirls19
Regular Contributor

Go for it you never know. My experian was 730 when I got the green and bce. Only thing that I see that they may not like is the 30 day late. Keep us posted good luck!
CURRENT SCORES: EX Fico (Amex) 730, TU Fico 745, EQ Fico 717

CURRENT CARDS: Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE 2K, Chase Sapphire 5K, Citi Thankyou Preferred 3.5K, Discover It 1.7K, Walmart Discover 1.6K, Capital One Platinum 1.5K

Message 9 of 14
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

what is your utilization on the cap one.  if it is high that can affect the approvals also.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.