Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Customer For Life... :)

tag
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Customer For Life... :)

@Anonymous wrote:

Recently had my car towed because I was at a friends place and the parking permit " wasn't displayed"....well turns out when I went to pick up my car, I couldn't find the parking permit anywhere, so the guy made me pay the $189 to get my car out, said if I would have found my permit, I would have gotten the fee waived....anyways, went ahead a paid it and left in a bad mood of course...well later that day, I end up finding the parking permit under my seat, hidden under the floor mat...somehow it fell.  I called the towing place up and told them and they said that there was nothing I could do, since I already paid, and then they hung up on me.  Called and spoke to two other people who told me the same thing.

Three days later, (yesterday), got a voicemail from AMEX while at work, said I needed to call back, I called back on my lunch and they asked about an unusual charge from a towing company, which I thought was weird since I haven't even had my card for more than a month, but I assume they mean unusual maybe because of the business type, or something they could see on their end that looked weird with the transaction.  I told them the whole story, and I also told them how I ended up finding my parking permit later on in the day and how they still wouldn't refund me.  CSR put in the details and told me I'll be receiving a credit for that charge, and "not to worry about it, it's taken care of"...I was so shocked I didn't expect for AMEX to take care of a problem that wasn't even their fault, it was honestly my own fault, but clearly unfortunate what happened, and that the merchant wouldn't work with me.

So only a month into having AMEX, they're clearly going to have my business, and reccomendation to others in the future as the card that everyone should have, because they do treat their cardmembers right, even if they don't have 20+ years of history with them.  Sure did make my day Smiley Happy

You might also consider that this could also be something of a scam for the towing company.   Tow a car with the permit showing, hide the permit in the car, Ka'ching!   Locked or not, I'm sure a towing company can get into the vehicle without leaving a mark.  It's a quick buck on a slow day.

I find it dubious that the permit "found it way" under the seat & under the floor mat on it's own.  It smells fishy.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point ^ I've heard of that before but never really heard a personal exprience.

Message 22 of 30
CS800
Super Contributor

AustinTex21 wrote:
I have the AMEX Zync card. My first card with AMEX, but for sure not my last.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I do agree the tow company had every right to tow, but the fact that they told me they would not charge if the permit was inside the vehicle and then I ended up finding it within an hour inside, just made me feel a little upset that they didn't stand by their word. I wouldn't have initiated a dispute myself, but when AMEX called me due to their own security alert and I explained what happen, they automatically refunded it to me, it wasn't something I ever expected to be done and probably nothing I would have pursued with the merchant, I figured what was done was done.

But yes, to answer the question, it was with my ZYNC.

Ok that's different since they told you that they wouldnt charge you if the permit was inside you vehicle which it was. So this case they should have reimbursed you fully. Heck it was their own integrity at stake and they failed miserably.

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok that's different since they told you that they wouldnt charge you if the permit was inside you vehicle which it was. So this case they should have reimbursed you fully. Heck it was their own integrity at stake and they failed miserably.

True but it's a towing company and theyre notoriously not the greatestest customer service companies Smiley Wink im not sure how much they cared about their integrity.

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good points....and really the reason I wanted to share this was to let everyone know my experience with AMEX, especially as a new customer to those who may be thinking of becoming customers, they def went the extra mile for me, and I'm sure will do so in other situations we all come across. The only other company I had to deal with a dispute for was Capital One a couple years back, and it was much more stressful, and complicated.

As for if they broke into my truck to hide the permit, I somewhat doubt. It could have legitimately fallen without me noticing, but in the end it all worked out for the best, I'll know to double check from now on, and be thankful for being able to have a great card that protected me.
Message 25 of 30
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

If Amex makes a final ruling in your favor, all it's done is remove their ability to charge your Amex account for the debt. The debt still exists.

They can hound you and/or send it to a collection agency. The only restriction a merchant has after losing an Amex chargeback is they can't attempt to recharge the presented Amex card for the transaction.

Sometimes they won't try and collect and consider it lost. Other times they will. I know Amex decided a chargeback in favor of a family member against Enterprise Car Rental for $500. Two years later, they started getting collection calls and letters about the debt. In my own experience I had a chargeback that has got to be going on 7 years now where the merchant has made no attempt to collect -- depiste it being $500+.

The reason Amex is so "helpful" in deciding for their cardholders is because it doesn't matter to them. If they decide for the cardholder the cardholder is happy, they still get the discount fees from the original transaction, plus they get the chargeback fee (usually around $25) from the merchant. They aren't arbitrating whether the debt is valid and owed, they're deciding if payment can be rendered on the card.

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting. We'll see what becomes of it. $193 isn't worth a headache of them still trying to pursue it later, hopefully AMEX meant it when they said "Don't worry about it". I'll def update if I receive anything more about it but for now I'm just going to take their advice and consider it handled.
Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone ever think that this could fall under the "We'll return it even if the vender won't allow a return" aspect of AMEX cards?

It's part of the cards service, so....

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

In all honesty, while I sympathize with your situation that evening, if I ran that towing service, I'd drop AMEX as a merchant account...in a heartbeat.

Well it may be the case that AMEX is going to cover the charge, not cancel it.

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just posted on another thread about AMEX but I agree they are the best and I'm a customer for life.  I posted this story on another thread but I'm cutting/pasting below.  I've rented cars before where something happened or the windshield got cracked, dents in the door. They covered it every single time with no hassles.

Definitely I think AMEX is one of the most prestigious cards if you're talking about the Platinum or Black Card.   I've had a Platinum card for many years but I didn't get one to impress girls that I was buying drinks for..lol.   I got it because of the great benefits and customer service.

I travel quite a bit and save a fortune declining ALL of the coverages renting a car.  They will literally pay for a car if you total it. Plus include medical liability and pretty much everything else.   Also, amazing benefits for flights that are canceled or delayed or even if your baggage is delayed they will pay for items that you buy.

When you travel, they cover so many things with NO hassles at all covering you.  My kids had an accident where I had to call 911 and ambulance had to come to the house.   AMEX paid for literally everything.  No questions asked.   Ambulance was $600, emergency room visit was $1,000+, doctor's bill was $600+.   They didn't even

blink. They just said to send them all the bills and they took care of it.

I got assigned a case manager after the incident and they called the hospital the next day and arranged to send all the bills to them.   It was amazing.

Plus, you get access to several Airline club lounges free with the Platinum card.  It's worth the annual $500 fee!  Anyone that travels definitely should look into the AMEX Platinum card. I'm a big fan after seeing how great they are with emergencies.   There is literally a membership book with all of the services they offer.

They are the best.   2 years ago I was offered a Centurion Card (Black Card) if I wanted it but I simply couldn't justify the $2,500 annual fee.  But the $500 annual fee for the Platinum card is well worth it with all the benefits.

In my book, AMEX will always be the best out there.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.