Frequent Contributor
74king

Re: AMEX DECLINED....PLEASE HELP!!!! I MAY NOT GET A JOB!!!!!

[ Edited ]

kisbel65 wrote:

Op here: thank you all for the info. I just pulled my TU (it had been two months) and it is 568...close, but not 600. I was surprised that I was not approved because I had a AMEX corporate card before with my previous employer and I was approved. I am so ashamed! I have been trying to fix credit for past 8 months. Wasted time with the wrong credit scores (FAKOs) I was in the low 500 range before. I can't believe this....I was laid off in dec 08 and have been trying to get a job and now this...

Well it sounds like you know what you have to do... and I'm sorry you didn't get the card. But that's just for now....in the future is a whole new ball game. You'll get it again, you just have to tighten up a few things first.:smileywink: Good luck and kind regards

Message Edited by 74king on 05-13-2009 02:57 PM
Equifax 787, TransUnion 793, Experian ? FAKO--> Who Cares
Established Contributor
Itsmeagain

Are your scores partly a result of your loss of employment?  Maybe you could have a chat with your future employer and explain.  I'm pretty sure you are not the only one in THAT boat.  You were offered the job based on your experience, education and the belief that your would do a good job.  Don't lose sight of your good points.  You must have beat out many candidates to get that offer.  Accentuate your positives and go talk with them.

What have you got to lose?

Good Luck . . . let us know the result.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
Watchmann

Just because AMEX won't give you a Corporate card doesn't mean the Company won't hire you, unless they base their hiring criteria on doing a credit check (more and more companies do this).  Tell the HR people that you had a past problem with AMEX that was settled but they still won't give you a card but you still want to work for them.  Don't just rollover.  Put the ball back in the Companies lap.  If you are the right person for the job they can work the issues.  A lack of an AMEX card shouldn't be a deal breaker in their hiring you.  
New Contributor
kisbel65

I sure hope it is not a deal breaker....will keep you in the loop.
New Contributor
kisbel65

OP here: I paid the old balance to AMEX and they approved me. I got the job and I started working yesterday. Thanks to all who helped me....I am more comitted now to fixing my credit than ever.

05/13/09 TU:586  EQ:540

Established Contributor
Ulan

Congrats! Great that everything worked out fine for you :smileyhappy:!
Frequent Contributor
74king

Congrats...:smileywink: Glad everything worked out for you.
Equifax 787, TransUnion 793, Experian ? FAKO--> Who Cares
Established Contributor
Itsmeagain

That's really good news.  It was a win, win, win for all involved . . . Congratulations . . . :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
txjohn

kisbel65 wrote:

OP here: I paid the old balance to AMEX and they approved me. I got the job and I started working yesterday. Thanks to all who helped me....I am more comitted now to fixing my credit than ever.

05/13/09 TU:586  EQ:540

Congrats!  That is the thing with AMEX.  They may settle a debt for less than owed, but they generally won't let you "back in" unless you settle in full.

When you have an employer who is going to give you a Corp Card, it won't generally be related to your credit, but in your case, based upon their internal records against your name and SSN.  They saw your old account and insisted it be settled in full before they allow you hold any card, whether you are the primary or only an authorized user.  AMEX is not forgiving for any default, whatsoever.  If you don't PIF, don't plan on any future with them (though a few have reported somehow doing so).

Good luck on the new job!  :smileyhappy:

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+