Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Decline - Need Help

tag
Sooners2013
Regular Contributor

AMEX Decline - Need Help

How long must I wait to reapply for Amex that was declined?  I have great credit 730-740 with limits on cards of 15-20,000 from banks.  But I am just graduating from college and when I applied they said credit was fine but they wanted to verify income with a 4506 with IRS.  Well that last year I filed was 2012 when I was only working part time in college so it would not verify the current income I have after graduating in December 2013.  They said without verification of income on 4506 I would not be approved.  I am now earning over 100,000 in my job and would like an Amex.  I offered written verification of income from employer but they wold only accep the 4506.   How long should I wait to reapply and if I do reapply will it ask me for the 4506 again? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Decline - Need Help

Do what they want you will never be able to get an account without doing it all your apps will be flagged and the same thing will come up.

Message 2 of 7
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Do what they want you will never be able to get an account without doing it all your apps will be flagged and the same thing will come up.

+1

There's no way around it.  Give them the 4506.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 3 of 7
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I would add that you could possibly be approved. Then immeidately after approval, they will suspend your account till you give them the form. In the end, if you want an account with them, you will have to give them the signed form.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I don't get the impression that the OP is resisting filing (on say privacy grounds), just that the filed returns don't show enough income.

Since you started working in Dec, I guess your 2013 return won't be a whole lot better, but I would app once you filed that.  At least it will show payment from your employer, and then you can argue about proof of income. 

Message 5 of 7
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I don't get the impression that the OP is resisting filing (on say privacy grounds), just that the filed returns don't show enough income.

Since you started working in Dec, I guess your 2013 return won't be a whole lot better, but I would app once you filed that.  At least it will show payment from your employer, and then you can argue about proof of income. 

I think that was pretty clear.  My reasoning was that he might be approved (albeit possibly with a low limit) upon submitting the transcript.  Then he can just go for a CLI in a year when his taxes reflect his increased income.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 6 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Just apply and submit the tax docs. You can always offer to supplement other documents as well, such as your paystubs. Sometimes they are willing to accept that on top of your tax docs.

If that doesn't work out, then you will have to wait till next year after you file your 2014 taxes, which is why I think you should try now since the inquiry is going to age by then anyways even if it doesn't work out in your favor now.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.