Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Delta Skymiles

tag
hautemama
Regular Contributor

AMEX Delta Skymiles

Omg! I just got approvedSmiley Very Happy I'm so excited. I app'd online and it says "Your credit line of $2000 will be available after you receive and activate your Card. You will receive your new Card within 10 days."

I've read posts that it would be possible to convert after I receive my card in the mail. Which is the best card out of the 3? Blue, Blue Cash or Clear? (just curious).  I already have a B of A rewards card with 1.25% rewards (bankamericard).

I absolutely LOOOOVE this place.  You all have been so helpful, and I would've never gotten to where I am now without you guys!!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Delta Skymiles

Congratulations! But slow your horses.  AMEX is not crazy; there has been a bulk of people doing product change before activation and they just might rescind the card!  Wait at least 1 month before you CLI and at least 6 months before product change.  Makes sense?  Product change is for when you don't like the product...but you can't say that if you haven't tried.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

hautemama wrote:
Omg! I just got approvedSmiley Very Happy I'm so excited. I app'd online and it says "Your credit line of $2000 will be available after you receive and activate your Card. You will receive your new Card within 10 days."

I've read posts that it would be possible to convert after I receive my card in the mail. Which is the best card out of the 3? Blue, Blue Cash or Clear? (just curious).  I already have a B of A rewards card with 1.25% rewards (bankamericard).

I absolutely LOOOOVE this place.  You all have been so helpful, and I would've never gotten to where I am now without you guys!!

Congrats!

I agree with ChemGuy.  Slow down there a little bit.  Is there a reason you want to product change?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats hautemama! WTG! You are now running with the big girls! Smiley Happy

I agree with ChemGuy & cheddar. Slow down girl! Don't get in a hurry to do anything with that card just yet. From what I've read, Amex is getting really funky about doing stuff with card holders. Anything from requiring you send them financial records, to reducing credit limit, to canceling the cc!

Just use it sparingly, pay down or off, keep the card squeaky clean. There's plenty of time for a product change, or whatever.

A good card. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
hautemama
Regular Contributor

The reason for wanting the product change.. I don't travel a lot.. BUT the miles would be nice, I guess (just in case) Does it take a long time or a lot of money spent to acquire a ticket?  I wanted a low interest CC that doesn't have an annual fee.  I was hoping to do a balance transfer or possibly have a high limit CC for emergencies or when I want to spend, then PIF.

Are they very generous with their CLI??  I recently got a Hooters card but regretted it as soon as I read the terms.  Very high interest rate.. (plus sometimes I'm embarrassed to pay for things with it! lol)
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

hautemama wrote:
Does it take a long time or a lot of money spent to acquire a ticket?

You need 50,000 Skymiles to get a roundtrip domestic ticket with no blackouts.  If your dates are flexible, you can get a ticket for as low as 25,000 Skymiles, but there will be several dates and flights blacked out.

You get 2 Skymiles per $1 spent at grocery stores, gas stations, drug stores, hardware and home improvement stores, cell phone providers, the US Postal Service, and Delta Airlines.  All other purchases get 1 Skymile per $1 spent.

You also get 15,000 Skymiles when you make your first purchase, and 2,500 if you add someone as an additional cardholder.

In theory, you can get a free Delta flight for as little as $3,750 in spending, when you account for the double Skymiles and bonus miles.

hautemama wrote:
I wanted a low interest CC that doesn't have an annual fee.
Gold Delta Skymiles has an $85 AF that is waived the first year.

If Delta Skymiles does not offer any rewards that are useful to you, I can certainly understand that.  But then it leads one to wonder why you chose that card to apply for in the first place.

hautemama wrote:
I was hoping to do a balance transfer or possibly have a high limit CC for emergencies or when I want to spend, then PIF.

Amex is not the lender to use for long-term BTs.  If you BT to them, make sure you pay significantly more than the minimum every month, and make sure you will be able to PIF it within only a few months.

hautemama wrote:

Are they very generous with their CLI??

Yes, they are very generous with CLI, and they do not cost a hard pull.

You will have to wait until you've had the card 30 days before you can get your first CLI, though, and then only once every six months after that.

Message 6 of 8
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

What were your scores or other useful information. I'm thinking of apply for that card myself. THANKS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 7 of 8
hautemama
Regular Contributor

I didn't pull my Ex score, but my Eq is around 640.  I took a chance and got approved! Good luck to you.

I hear about people having many AMEX cards, such as the green charge card.  What are the benefits to this? Is it the same thing as a debit card technically?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.