Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Denial

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Denial

AMEX has been reported to sometimes pull all three CRs for Revolver approvals.   No rhyme or reason that I have ever seen, but it occasionally happens....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 21 of 32
zoe15
Established Member

@teenastie wrote:

@zoe15 wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

Derogatory public record or collection filed.
Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high.
Too many inquiries last 12 months.
Too many accounts with balances.

To the best of your knowledge are these factors accurate on your EQ report?

If so:

How old is your PR/CA?

What is your current utl?

How many Inqs in the past year?

How may accts with balances?

How many total accts?

I have 2 paid judgements; one from 2007 and one from 2008

My current utilization is 16%; I only have one revolving CC w/ a $3000 CL

I have 4 accounts with balances: 2 student loans, 1 auto loan, and 1 revolving credit card (no lates)

I only have 4 open accounts; I have several closed installment accounts in good standing and my AAoA is 6 years

Amex typically hates major Derogs. The negative factors are listed by the level of hatred. I would wait/actively finds ways to have your judgements removed from your CRs. I would hate for you to apply for any Amex product (even a Zync) no matter your score and you continue to receive denials.

"The negative factors are listed by the level of hatred."  Hah!  Thanks.  I'm actually really happy with my USAA MC (and their customer service is excellent), so perhaps I'll wait a few months and lower my utilization before applying for another one of their products.  I'm just trying to expand my revolving credit since I understand it's best to have 2-3 CC's.

Thanks again for your help!

Message 22 of 32
zoe15
Established Member

@teenastie wrote:

@GregB wrote:

Are you sure they pulled Equifax? I have never seen them pull anything except Experian except for a few cases where they pulled EX and then pulled another CRA in an attempt to get someone approved.

On all the approval and/or denial letters that I have seen the "Key factors that adversely affected your FICO score" section matches exactly the section on that person's EX FICO report. Those are FICO reason codes, not Amex. Amex may have additional factors that influence approval but I haven't seen any listed in addition to the FICO factors.

I do suspect that the FICO score they are using is the EX Beacon 9 Bankcard Industry card even though they are saying the range is 300-850 like a Classic FICO would be. The theoretical range of the BankCard Industry Score is actually 250-900 even though scores below 300 or above 850 don't seem to actually exist.

I've seen examples where Amex pulls all 3 CRs,  Innovis and telecheck! Smiley Indifferent

Yeah, AMEX pulled all 3 of my CR's.

Message 23 of 32
zoe15
Established Member

@eparker wrote:

Yea, I am waiting to get an Amex as well.  Need to get my util down.  Exp is not my best report, I think I am 642 or so with them.  Gonna wait six months when I have all my Credit cards paid off, and see what happens.  Guess I will shoot for the Zync first and see what happens. 

Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out. Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 32
doublespaces
Frequent Contributor

OP read my thread about this same situation:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-said-my-score-is-667-but-lender-says-736/m-p/11009...

Starting: EQ: 490 TU: ??? EX: ???
Current: EQ: 717 TU: 757 EX: 736 (lender)
Goal: 800+
=============
Amex: Zync, Gold Delta
Discover More
Chase Slate
Discover More
Message 25 of 32
zoe15
Established Member

@doublespaces wrote:

OP read my thread about this same situation:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-said-my-score-is-667-but-lender-says-736/m-p/11009...

Awesome!  I'm going to read through it right now.  Thanks!

Message 26 of 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@zoe15 wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

If so:

How old is your PR/CA?

How many total accts?

I have 4 accounts with balances: 2 student loans, 1 auto loan, and 1 revolving credit card (no lates)

I only have 4 open accounts; I have several closed installment accounts in good standing and my AAoA is 6 years

That one alone is bad, and may be the one factor that keeps AMEX away from you. May need to let those age a bit before trying again.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 27 of 32
zoe15
Established Member

@LS2982 wrote:

@zoe15 wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

If so:

How old is your PR/CA?

How many total accts?

That one alone is bad, and may be the one factor that keeps AMEX away from you. May need to let those age a bit before trying again.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now, too.  Oh, well.  I'm learning a lot from these boards, and I hope to have the rest of my report looking as good as possible when the 2 judgements fall off.  Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Message 28 of 32
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

as someone else suggested, might be FICO08.

See how FICO08 will contribute towards your score: http://www.money-zine.com/Financial-Planning/Debt-Consolidation/Understanding-FICO-08/

Message 29 of 32
Tryon2improve
Regular Contributor

@zoe15 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@zoe15 wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

If so:

How old is your PR/CA?

How many total accts?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now, too.  Oh, well.  I'm learning a lot from these boards, and I hope to have the rest of my report looking as good as possible when the 2 judgements fall off.  Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Have you considered having the judgements vacated since they have been paid? It may be worth looking into.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.