Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX, Discover, Chase, oh my!

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX, Discover, Chase, oh my!

mmmmmm, I had the same short-list of cards I wanted to apply for, and overall my situation is somewhat similar to yours (I also have less than 1 yr history, but around 6-7 credit cards with small limits and scores around 700-720 across all CRAs). I started with Discover More, got instantly approved for $2500; a couple of weeks later applied for Chase Amazon, approved instantly for $3000, but decided to wait a little bit more before applying for BCE (maybe until November, when most of my inquiries will pass 1 year mark and my total credit history will be 15 months long). I would say you have good chances, your scores are even higher than mine.

Good luck!

P.S. A good thing is also that Chase and Discover pulled different CRAs (Chase -> EX; Discover -> EQ) in my case (I live in NJ). Not sure if that's the case everywhere.

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@webhopper wrote:

I definitely include my bonus in there when I apply. I always apply using the income reported on my w2 as well as the gross income from my side business. All of that income is taxable so you definitely should include it since you're paying taxes for it. Autos mortgages cards; I always use it. On my paystubs it does delineation what money is bonus money vs regular.  My bonus was 17k last yr, and it was included part of my initial employment contract as a percentage of my base pay. There's no way I'd leave that much money off the table, especially as the bonus has helped us pay off two vehicles that we own free and clear and helps us have money to invest in retirement accounts.

Was the bonus part of your initial employment offer? if yes then include it.   My husband recently apped for Platinum, and his incentive changes from month to month, so we took his gross pay for the first six months of the yr and doubled it, and that's the figure he put on the app along with his VA disability pay.

Yeah, that's where I was a little fuzzy on, what actually counted as income.  I asked one of their chat reps a week or two ago about including bonuses, and the chat rep said only include your actual wages/salary, but I don't know if that was correct.

At my current position, I can earn a bonus for my performance every month, and atlhough it's obviously not guaranteed, I get it almost every month maybe missing it once or twice a year.  There are 3 levels to the bonus, based on percentages, 5%, 10%, and 20% on all wages earned for that month.  So for instance if I earned the 20% bonus, and made $2,000 that month, I would actually get paid $2,400.  Again, it's not guaranteed like a wage or salary is, but I can say with confidence my yearly income is much higher than just my hours worked times my hourly wage.  I just don't want to falsify anything or have them ask me to verify it when I can't actually prove I would make that much guaranteed.

I also can't go off a W2 or anything because I only started this position last Oct. I suppose I can take my pay through the first 6 months of 2012 and simply multiply it by 2?  I don't know.  I guess I would just rather shoot lower than too high, but maybe that's the wrong way to look at it as well.

@mikka1 wrote:

mmmmmm, I had the same short-list of cards I wanted to apply for, and overall my situation is somewhat similar to yours (I also have less than 1 yr history, but around 6-7 credit cards with small limits and scores around 700-720 across all CRAs). I started with Discover More, got instantly approved for $2500; a couple of weeks later applied for Chase Amazon, approved instantly for $3000, but decided to wait a little bit more before applying for BCE (maybe until November, when most of my inquiries will pass 1 year mark and my total credit history will be 15 months long). I would say you have good chances, your scores are even higher than mine.

Good luck!

P.S. A good thing is also that Chase and Discover pulled different CRAs (Chase -> EX; Discover -> EQ) in my case (I live in NJ). Not sure if that's the case everywhere.

Yeah, I actually applied back in Jun last year for Chase Freedom (bad idea) for my first CC, and when I was denied I got approved for a Discover Student More card instead.  Chase hit my EQ and EX, and Discover hit my TU.  It's funny because I even asked a Discover rep over the phone which one they mainly pull, and they said they usually pull EX, but I think it just really depends on location or maybe even timing.  Good thing for me, my TU is my highest score at the moment.

TU: 730   EQ: 726

Once my Discover account hits the 1 year mark, and my last inq falls off my reports, along with a 1% util, I think I can make it into the 740s or 750s (that's why I said that in my OP), at least I'm hoping.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Message 12 of 19
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Amex likes to see atleast a year of positive tradelines.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

A year of positive trade lines with them, or any lender/creditor?

Message 14 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

In general, any creditor; *however* Amex (like all lenders but arguably more so) also wants to see income levels... and 20K / yr isn't much.  Go figure, they like discretionary spending power.

I know you want the BCE, and it's a good card; however, it's a non-trivial approval and it's not targetted towards people in your situation as a student.

What you could do, and it might work:

- Apply for Zync

- If approved, immediately apply for BCE.

Might be same pull, might not, but 2 inquiries vs. 1 no biggie, and since most folks have needed to wait 6 months to a year with the Zync or other charge product before applying for a revolver, the inquiry damage will be minimal to non-existant.  Also if you just apply for the BCE in January you'd just be backdated to 01/12 anyway on it so it's not like you're losing time score wise by doing this at least for AAoA calculation.  This presumes you can get a Zync, and I'd be very surprised if you were denied for that.  It's marketed as Amex's short-history or entry-level card... and it's actually pretty good unless you need travel rewards.

        
Message 15 of 19
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

im 21 28k yearly income and got approved for amex instantly for 2500...

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In general, any creditor; *however* Amex (like all lenders but arguably more so) also wants to see income levels... and 20K / yr isn't much.  Go figure, they like discretionary spending power.

I know you want the BCE, and it's a good card; however, it's a non-trivial approval and it's not targetted towards people in your situation as a student.

- Apply for Zync

Might be same pull, might not, but 2 inquiries vs. 1 no biggie, and since most folks have needed to wait 6 months to a year with the Zync or other charge product before applying for a revolver, the inquiry damage will be minimal to non-existant.  Also if you just apply for the BCE in January you'd just be backdated to 01/12 anyway on it so it's not like you're losing time score wise by doing this at least for AAoA calculation.  This presumes you can get a Zync, and I'd be very surprised if you were denied for that.  It's marketed as Amex's short-history or entry-level card... and it's actually pretty good unless you need travel rewards.

Thanks for the suggestion.  If I apped for BCE first and was denied, I would have to wait 30 days before applying for the Zinc, correct?  Is there a CL on the charge cards?  I'm still a bit fuzzy as to how they work, how they report limits, etc.

@jsickz32 wrote:

im 21 28k yearly income and got approved for it instantly for 2500...

Mind if I ask what your FICO scores looked like?

Message 17 of 19
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

- Apply for Zync

Thanks for the suggestion.  If I apped for BCE first and was denied, I would have to wait 30 days before applying for the Zinc, correct?  Is there a CL on the charge cards?  I'm still a bit fuzzy as to how they work, how they report limits, etc.

@jsickz32 wrote:

im 21 28k yearly income and got approved for it instantly for 2500...

Mind if I ask what your FICO scores looked like?

idk...ive had ccs since i was 18 and checking account since 16 maybe thats why....

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 18 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Zync is a great card. I have the connect pack. You get 1 pt for every dollar, plus you get bonus points for your pack catagories. I have connect pack, which gives me 3x bonus on my security system, cell, internet, and direct tv, and netflix. Also, eco pack is free, and other packs are free, so you get bonus points for using those "green" vendors
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.