Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Downgrade??????????

tag
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Downgrade??????????

Thanks for the replies.  So would you say that this is the order of best to worst in AMEX CC's?

1.  Optima Platinum CC
2.  Clear
3.  Blue Cash
4.  Delta Platinum Skymiles

Is this an order that you would agree with in the credit card area?

Thanks.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is relative to the person, for me it is:

0. Gold Card (great card - not too high of an annual fee)
1.  Blue Cash
2.  Optima Platinum CC
3.  Clear
4.  Delta Platinum Skymiles
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel ya Pjriverap!  I can handle the $150 but not the $450..LOL

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI John,

I am not sure which order I would place them.  I have all of those cards but the Delta. 

I do love my GOld rewards so I would add it to the list. 

I got the green first then the clear.  Blue and Optima plat followed by the Gold.  I use the gold more now.
Message 14 of 22
notmyname
Regular Contributor

John ,
You are rating apples and oranges. The Blue and Clear products are not co-branded as the others on your list.
All the co-branded products fall below Amex products because they are not handled by Amex customer service or UW.
And in turn , all Amex charge cards come above the Amex credit cards. (possiblly because they are all about service and the others are all about interest.)
I have several cards from Amex and from the time I got the second one, I noticed on the website when I am logged in to my account that they are organized from top to bottom in the order of importance as Amex sees them. Not Alphabetically or otherwise.

RP
Message 15 of 22
John060675
Valued Contributor

Notmyname,

So the Optima is a co-brand credit card?  I am surprised at that.  I have looked online, but I just cannot see this.  Please elaborate on this and tell me how it is a co-branded card.

Thanks.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an Optima Platinum card and it's NOT co-branded.  I call American Express for customer service, receive statements from them in the mail, and pay my bill online on their website. 
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notmyname wrote:
All the co-branded products fall below Amex products because they are not handled by Amex customer service or UW.

Where does this come from? If that was the case, I doubt the CSR from Delta would have any say in giving me an Amex Blue. Just the same I doubt that the other Delta CSR would have access to my Starwood Amex acct details and not need to transfer me to answer a question about that account. It is definitely Amex customer service.

Maybe you're thinking of Amex cards issued by other banks like Citi?
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning Folks,

I logged into my AMEX site today and this is how my cards are listed below.  Very interesting point notmyname...  I can see where you get that. 

Rewards Plus Gold Card
Optima® Platinum
Clear
Blue from American Express
Corporate Card
Message 19 of 22
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

I just switched from regular DELTA SKYMILES to the BLUE SKY, because I never fly Delta and there's obviously more flexibility with the BLUE SKY in terms of rewards and points and all that stuff.

But I would assume losing "platinum" status would be considered a "downgrade" from the POV of a CSR.

With AMEX it's all about the perks that you want and plan to use. Like Rental Car Insurance protection, I can now always decline that fat fee when traveling. Something that wasn't offered on the regular Delta Sky. I think the Buyer's Protection was there, but don't quote me.

Someone said it earlier on this thread, AMEX is about service, when you're dealing with their core cards.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.