Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Expiration Dates

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

AMEX Expiration Dates

Just curious... I noticed my exp dates on my 2 new Amexes are 2016, 4 years from now. That is a really long time. My other CCs are 2 years from when I got them; though Navy is 4 yrs, also. Is that typical of Amex? Being a new cardholder, I thought they'd only give me a year or so.

Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Expiration Dates

@bichonmom wrote:

Just curious... I noticed my exp dates on my 2 new Amexes are 2016, 4 years from now. That is a really long time. My other CCs are 2 years from when I got them; though Navy is 4 yrs, also. Is that typical of Amex? Being a new cardholder, I thought they'd only give me a year or so.

Smiley Happy

Bichon (I can't bring myself to use just the first 4 letters, it looks like something else to me then LOL);

It's very typical of AMEX, mostly because the majority of the card members tend to stay with them longer for the most part.

A lot of that has to do with who they allow to become a Card Member, their scoring method is quirky but it seems to work for them, they actually have a very low default percentage in the industry. I know at one time they had the lowest. 

Once people join AMEX, they just don't tend to leave, at least not for a long time.  I'm guessing NFCU isn't much different in that respect. (my cards with them are 4 year EXP too).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 14
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks, RyVision. I do plan on being with them a very long time (hopefully!). Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 14
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Does yours have a silver strip on the back?  Mine didn't even last a year without that strip being worn and sales-people having to manual input my card number.  I had to request a brand new one in a matter of months, with moderate usage.  I can't imagine people's cards lasting anywhere near 4 years (I know it's not related, but still) without that silver strip being worn.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 14
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Mine has the silver strip. Though I hardly use the card lol I think last time I used it was December.  If the strip wears, great excuse to get a nice new shiny card though, call, explain, they'll send out a new one right away Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 14
dnice77
Regular Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

Smiley Happy

Bichon (I can't bring myself to use just the first 4 letters, it looks like something else to me then LOL);

It's very typical of AMEX, mostly because the majority of the card members tend to stay with them longer for the most part.

A lot of that has to do with who they allow to become a Card Member, their scoring method is quirky but it seems to work for them, they actually have a very low default percentage in the industry. I know at one time they had the lowest. 

Once people join AMEX, they just don't tend to leave, at least not for a long time.  I'm guessing NFCU isn't much different in that respect. (my cards with them are 4 year EXP too).

Interesting. on AMEX FB page they have a listing or video about users who have been with them since 1958. i huess people do stay forever. i wonder if they were given complementary Centurion Cards

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 14
dnice77
Regular Contributor

http://about.americanexpress.com/50/charter/

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Message 7 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@clocktick wrote:

Does yours have a silver strip on the back?  Mine didn't even last a year without that strip being worn and sales-people having to manual input my card number.  I had to request a brand new one in a matter of months, with moderate usage.  I can't imagine people's cards lasting anywhere near 4 years (I know it's not related, but still) without that silver strip being worn.

I've had trouble with the signature strip on my AMEX Green Corp Card ~ it is faded & smudged to the point where it is illegible.    The magnetic stripe still works fine though.    

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The longest I have seen, even though I haven't had many cards is my Discover More has a 5 year expiration date. I wonder if that is the longest?

Message 9 of 14
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

my blue has the 4 years to expiration

my new zync has 4 years good tll 1/2016 rcv'd in january. 

edit:  fix math error.... really I can do math, really I can 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.