Senior Contributor
bichonmom

AMEX Expiration Dates

Just curious... I noticed my exp dates on my 2 new Amexes are 2016, 4 years from now. That is a really long time. My other CCs are 2 years from when I got them; though Navy is 4 yrs, also. Is that typical of Amex? Being a new cardholder, I thought they'd only give me a year or so.

:smileyhappy:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Valued Contributor
RyVision

Re: AMEX Expiration Dates

bichonmom wrote:

Just curious... I noticed my exp dates on my 2 new Amexes are 2016, 4 years from now. That is a really long time. My other CCs are 2 years from when I got them; though Navy is 4 yrs, also. Is that typical of Amex? Being a new cardholder, I thought they'd only give me a year or so.

Bichon (I can't bring myself to use just the first 4 letters, it looks like something else to me then LOL);

It's very typical of AMEX, mostly because the majority of the card members tend to stay with them longer for the most part.

A lot of that has to do with who they allow to become a Card Member, their scoring method is quirky but it seems to work for them, they actually have a very low default percentage in the industry. I know at one time they had the lowest. 

Once people join AMEX, they just don't tend to leave, at least not for a long time.  I'm guessing NFCU isn't much different in that respect. (my cards with them are 4 year EXP too).

Senior Contributor
bichonmom

Thanks, RyVision. I do plan on being with them a very long time (hopefully!). :smileytongue:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Valued Contributor
clocktick

[ Edited ]

Does yours have a silver strip on the back?  Mine didn't even last a year without that strip being worn and sales-people having to manual input my card number.  I had to request a brand new one in a matter of months, with moderate usage.  I can't imagine people's cards lasting anywhere near 4 years (I know it's not related, but still) without that silver strip being worn.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 JUNE 2014 TU 779 EX 764 EQ 721
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Barclays LLBean $15k/Sallie Mae $12.5 -Cap One QS $4 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Valued Contributor
RyVision

Mine has the silver strip. Though I hardly use the card lol I think last time I used it was December.  If the strip wears, great excuse to get a nice new shiny card though, call, explain, they'll send out a new one right away :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
dnice77

RyVision wrote:

bichonmom wrote:

Bichon (I can't bring myself to use just the first 4 letters, it looks like something else to me then LOL);

It's very typical of AMEX, mostly because the majority of the card members tend to stay with them longer for the most part.

A lot of that has to do with who they allow to become a Card Member, their scoring method is quirky but it seems to work for them, they actually have a very low default percentage in the industry. I know at one time they had the lowest. 

Once people join AMEX, they just don't tend to leave, at least not for a long time.  I'm guessing NFCU isn't much different in that respect. (my cards with them are 4 year EXP too).

Interesting. on AMEX FB page they have a listing or video about users who have been with them since 1958. i huess people do stay forever. i wonder if they were given complementary Centurion Cards

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 718 PER AMEX :smileyhappy:
Goal Score: 720

Regular Contributor
dnice77

http://about.americanexpress.com/50/charter/

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 718 PER AMEX :smileyhappy:
Goal Score: 720

pizzadude

clocktick wrote:

Does yours have a silver strip on the back?  Mine didn't even last a year without that strip being worn and sales-people having to manual input my card number.  I had to request a brand new one in a matter of months, with moderate usage.  I can't imagine people's cards lasting anywhere near 4 years (I know it's not related, but still) without that silver strip being worn.

I've had trouble with the signature strip on my AMEX Green Corp Card ~ it is faded & smudged to the point where it is illegible.    The magnetic stripe still works fine though.    

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Frequent Contributor
Dadaluma83

The longest I have seen, even though I haven't had many cards is my Discover More has a 5 year expiration date. I wonder if that is the longest?

FICO Scores: TU: 768 (Jan 2012), EQ: 755 (Jan 2012 Lender pull)
Valued Contributor
jamesdwi

[ Edited ]

my blue has the 4 years to expiration

my new zync has 4 years good tll 1/2016 rcv'd in january. 

edit:  fix math error.... really I can do math, really I can 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Amtrak 4.6k, & Freedom 3.3k & Slate 3.3k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & AMEX Hilton Surpass 7.5k & AMEX Zync NPSL, Sams Club Discover 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne 2.5k, CapOne 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 4/26//2014 no plans for new credit I think I have enough.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+