Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX ExpressPay No Longer Accepted

tag
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

AMEX ExpressPay No Longer Accepted

Today I came across my third retailer where my AMEX Express Pay isn't accepted, despite the AMEX Express Pay logo being displayed on the contactless terminal.  I'm wondering if anyone else who uses Express Pay has started running into this?  I've had trouble at McDonald's, Best Buy, and now, Home Depot.  My Express Pay still works just fine at 7-Eleven, Burger King, and CVS.  Best Buy's terminals tell me "Contactless Not Accepted" and the cashier at Home Depot told me something about "tap to pay not allowed, please swipe."  I've used it at Best Buy, Home Depot, and McDonald's many times before, and since it's still working elsewhere, I don't think it's my card that's the problem.

Not a huge deal, but I'm curious if anyone else has run across this.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX ExpressPay No Longer Accepted

I had the same thing last week at Best Buy.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I remember what when I had Zync back then I can't use it on Lowes for some reason.

Message 3 of 18
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

I only used my ExpressPay once because I hated how on the online statement, it just said ExpressPay instead of the merchant (for that info you had to look in the details). When I got a replacement card, it no longer had the ExpressPay chip, so maybe Amex is moving away from that technology?

Message 4 of 18
nyancat
Established Contributor

Any updates on this? Best Buy doesn't accept ANY contactless, but Home Depot I have no problems with Google Wallet working (had to fight to get a REFUND though)

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 5 of 18
westcoastpirate
Contributor

So I called AMEX and requested a BCE card with the Expresspay feature. They overnighted me the new card with Expresspay built in. I tried it twice last night, once at Walgreens and the other at McDonalds just for fun, and it didn't work at either place. Both locations had Expresspay terminals. Is there a way to see if the terminals are functioning?
Message 6 of 18
jake619
Frequent Contributor

I've never had it declined.  I have had where it just isn't picked up and I have to swipe but nothing telling me it wasn't accepted.  It's 50/50 whether it works and when it doesn't there's always a line behind be... 

Message 7 of 18
westcoastpirate
Contributor

Yeah, it didn't come up declined, it just didn't pick up the card and I had to swipe at both places. But I was wondering if there is some kind of indication the contactless terminal is working before I look like an idiot and sit there with my card over the contactless terminal waiting for it to ring up? I YouTube'd expresspay last night and it looks like there is one green light that is always on, then when you go to pay all four lights light up.
Message 8 of 18
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@westcoastpirate wrote:
So I called AMEX and requested a BCE card with the Expresspay feature. They overnighted me the new card with Expresspay built in. I tried it twice last night, once at Walgreens and the other at McDonalds just for fun, and it didn't work at either place. Both locations had Expresspay terminals. Is there a way to see if the terminals are functioning?

Per AMEX CSR they have to activate the feature on your account. So give them a call.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 9 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Can anyone tell me why they like using this?  I don't find it more difficult to just swipe my card.  I also don't like the way it lists as ExpressPay on your statement, but I thought I remembered reading that they stopped doing that.  In any event, ExpressPay was neat for my two year old before he figured out how to swipe the card.  But that's about the only use I got out of it.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.