Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Extended Warranty

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Extended Warranty

There are some (probably a lot) of companies that will only honor the warranty if you purchased the product from an authorized retailer.  For instance, Shure audio.  If you purchase a "Shure" product from a non-authorized Shure dealer, Shure will not repair or replace things for free as they would under warranty.

Does AMEX care/will AMEX know about fine print like this?  I've been wanting to buy a pair of Shure SRH 840 headphones for a while, but the cheapest price is always from a non-authorized (but legitimate) dealer and I don't want to save $30-$50 on the purchase price only to end up paying more than that for non-warranty repairs.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Extended Warranty

@Anonymous wrote:

There are some (probably a lot) of companies that will only honor the warranty if you purchased the product from an authorized retailer.  For instance, Shure audio.  If you purchase a "Shure" product from a non-authorized Shure dealer, Shure will not repair or replace things for free as they would under warranty.

Does AMEX care/will AMEX know about fine print like this?  I've been wanting to buy a pair of Shure SRH 840 headphones for a while, but the cheapest price is always from a non-authorized (but legitimate) dealer and I don't want to save $30-$50 on the purchase price only to end up paying more than that for non-warranty repairs.

AMEX doubles the manufacurer's warranty up to a max 12 months.    Assuming they come with a 1 year warranty, Shure would cover year 1, and AMEX would cover year 2.   But if you bought them from this dealer then you wouldn't have a warranty, is  that what you are saying ?    I don't know if AMEX would know anything about the original warrantly , they seem to be pretty good about customer service, and I doubt that they would give you trouble over it.

I have never made a claim with this service but I think if you did they would just look to see where and when it was purchased, and then expect you to provide them with the warranty details.   

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
CS800
Super Contributor

When i was buying my camera with my AMEX, i did call them to ask about the extended warranty. The lady was nice and said that if you get one year with the manufacturer, we extend it to 2 on electronic products. I'm unsure about other categories.

Message 3 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

I'm not sure, but I do recall reading AmEx's fine print on the warranty.

My undersanding is this, and you may want to confirm with AmEx.  If you purchased the item from a non-authorized dealer and therefore have no manufacturer's warranty, then your AmEx warranty will be fore 12 months from date of purchase.

Message 4 of 9
CS800
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

I'm not sure, but I do recall reading AmEx's fine print on the warranty.

My undersanding is this, and you may want to confirm with AmEx.  If you purchased the item from a non-authorized dealer and therefore have no manufacturer's warranty, then your AmEx warranty will be fore 12 months from date of purchase.

That si what i heard too. If there is no warranty, the AMEX warranty serves for 1 year.

Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Everything that I am reading indicates that it only doubles the warranty up to 12 months;  I don't see anything about providing a year if the product does not come with a warranty. 

Message 6 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I just re~read the paper T&Cs that was mailed when I first received my card.   No mention of coverage for items that do not come with a warranty.

However it does mention that Centurion cardmembers get warranties extended for 3 additional years, instead of the typical 1 year for everyone else.

Message 7 of 9
CS800
Super Contributor

I just called and the agent confirmed that the extended warranty only extends an existing warranty by 12 months on eligibles products. If there is no warranty, there is nothing to extend.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

I just called and the agent confirmed that the extended warranty only extends an existing warranty by 12 months on eligibles products. If there is no warranty, there is nothing to extend.

Yea, this is what they told me too.  Thanks for all the help guys.  

I should have been more clear in the OP.

I'm asking if AMEX would know that you didn't get a warranty due to not purchasing from an authorized dealer.  For instance, if I sent them my statement/receipt showing the date of purchase, and I also sent them the information about the manufacturer 1 year warranty (which doesn't include the fine print about authorized dealers blah blah blah) would AMEX research further and see that I was not eligible for warranty in the first place?

I know they won't warranty something that didn't have a warranty (for whatever reason).  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.