cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Extended Warranty

tag
DBB

AMEX Extended Warranty

Hey Guys. Had a question regarding the AMEX Extended Warranty. Just purchased a new apple computer today and was debating on getting the AppleCare extended warranty since AMEX adds a year of warranty for free.

I was told that the AMEX warranty will add an additional year of warranty to the AppleCare warranty because it is under 5 years and it's a manufacturer warranty. I was skeptical and even had them ask the manager, who also confirmed it would.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I am going to give AMEX a call tomorrow to get to the bottom of it. Sounds too good to be true

p.s. Apple warranty is 1 year, AppleCare adds 2 more years.
NPSL$20,000
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Extended Warranty

@DBB wrote:
Hey Guys. Had a question regarding the AMEX Extended Warranty. Just purchased a new apple computer today and was debating on getting the AppleCare extended warranty since AMEX adds a year of warranty for free.

I was told that the AMEX warranty will add an additional year of warranty to the AppleCare warranty because it is under 5 years and it's a manufacturer warranty. I was skeptical and even had them ask the manager, who also confirmed it would.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I am going to give AMEX a call tomorrow to get to the bottom of it. Sounds too good to be true

p.s. Apple warranty is 1 year, AppleCare adds 2 more years.

If you need coverage for 3 years, get AppleCare.

If you don't, use your Amex. 

If it were up to me, I'll just use my Amex. Most electronics are outdated in less than a year anyhow, so it's pretty pointless to cover it for 3 years. 2 years of coverage is plenty. Amex claims generally have been pretty easy and painless. You just call in, and they will send you a form, which you will fill up. Sometimes they'll ask you to send the product to them (at your expense), sometimes they'll just ask for pictures, etc. It depends on your account standing and claims history.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
DBB

Just called AMEX insurance division and they confirmed that the computer will now have a 4 year warranty. 1 Year Apple Warranty, 2 Years Additional AppleCare Warranty (extra cost) and 1 Year of Added Amex Warranty. 

As long as the orginal warranty is 5 years or less, they will add a 1 year warranty. 

NPSL$20,000
Message 3 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

hmm i was interested to see how amex handles warranties. I just purchased an iphone with my amex card. You get 1 additional year of their standard warranty i believe. How about with apple care do you get an additional year of applecare , if i used amex to buy applecare?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 11
DBB

From what they explained, they only mirror the orginal warranty and its coverage. The rep I spoke to was familiar with Apple products, including AppleCare and stated that a mirror of the orginal Apple warranty (1 year) will take affect after the AppleCare has run out. 

NPSL$20,000
Message 5 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@DBB wrote:

From what they explained, they only mirror the orginal warranty and its coverage. The rep I spoke to was familiar with Apple products, including AppleCare and stated that a mirror of the orginal Apple warranty (1 year) will take affect after the AppleCare has run out. 

Ahh i see still debating whether i need applecare for an phone that i may keep for no more than two years hmmm. I may play it dangerously and just take the additional year of standard warranty, don't know :-(

Message 7 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@mongstradamus

The one year I didn't buy the AppleCare I dropped my iPhone at the Rose Bowl. Shattered the screen and would have to replace the screen- shakes fist at the cost of retina display! Needless to say, I always buy it now.
Message 8 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Well phone is for my mother i bought her an case already and the phone both with amex, just wondering about applecare. As long as she doesn't have butter fingers she should be ok without applecare? I am kidding.How much is it to replace an broken phone when you have apple care is like 80 dollars or something ?

Message 9 of 11
DBB

@mongstradamus

Its a $50 replacement fee. 

NPSL$20,000
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.