Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX FR - How sensitive to new inquiries/hp

tag
nagisa
New Contributor

AMEX FR - How sensitive to new inquiries/hp

I applied for a Citi Forward (got denied; in recon) then approved for a BCP and following that a Chase Amazon card. I'm worried that the recon on Citi will do another HP (they said it might and couldn't tell me).

I know AMEX soft pulled me immediately after Chase hard pulled. If Citi hard pull again and AMEX notices, it could look like I've app'd for four cards in a month (only had two previously - so huge increase). Could this potentially trigger an FR?

I'm in a bit of an awkward situation where a FR would be pretty hard for me to satisfy as the past few years almost all of my income is from overseas and not reported to the IRS. Only in the last few months is my income US-based; would they accept last few pay stubs or bank statements instead?

gaah worried now. stupid citi application; shouldn't have done it

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX FR - How sensitive to new inquiries/hp

AMEX wants tax return, nothing else. Tax return cannot be forged, unlike paystub or bank statement (tax return comes from IRS directly).

I think you are worrying too much. I applied 6 cards this year and haven't got hit with FR yet.

Message 2 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm this can put you in a sticky situation.... as foreign is usually reported to the Irs as far as I know. Do you pay taxes in another country? If so I recommend that you address the FR using your foreign tax statements.

Personally though; I don't see that you're at risk for FR. I had tons of inquiries prior to and after receiving my Amex charge card. The most important thing to consider is to keep your charges commensurate with your income and you'll be just fine!

Best of luck and welcome to the Amex family!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 9
nagisa
New Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Hmm this can put you in a sticky situation.... as foreign is usually reported to the Irs as far as I know. Do you pay taxes in another country? If so I recommend that you address the FR using your foreign tax statements.

Personally though; I don't see that you're at risk for FR. I had tons of inquiries prior to and after receiving my Amex charge card. The most important thing to consider is to keep your charges commensurate with your income and you'll be just fine!

Best of luck and welcome to the Amex family!

Up until 2013, I'm still non-resident for tax purposes, so I don't file a 1042, but a 1042-NR instead, which doesn't require reporting of foreign income. there's also no tax treaty between here and the other country.

How many cards did you apply for after your amex and how quickly?

I've had my Gold amex for just over 2 years now, so I suppose there's a chance they can look at that and know im a good customer.

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 4 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Oh I see... very odd predicament...

I got my amex card in February.... I had over 15 HPs on each report (from mortgage process nightmare) the app for amex was done in a spree fashion... I apped for amazon store card; amex; chase amazon; QT gas card; discover open roads; usaa mastercard all within a few days.

In march I apped for nfcu membership; nfcu auto refi; nfcu cash rewards.

In may I got a Hp for a new security system installed in the new house.

In July I did an Fha streamline refi.

In October... I did an auto loan app to replace my paid for car that was totalled (RIP little red hot Volvo) *tear
FICO 9:

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Inquiries are not known to trigger FR's AFAIK.  I don't think you have anything to worry about unless your spending greatly outstrips Amex's theoretical financial profile of you based on your income vs. debt obligations.

        
Message 6 of 9
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 7 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit314 wrote:

+1

Do you mind sharing additional commentary or discussion to help the Original Poster? I'm assuming your agreement is based on a recent experience? It is always helpful to post detailed experiences and comments.... others may be able to learn new things from your experiences! Thanks in advance!
FICO 9:

Message 8 of 9
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Credit314 wrote:

+1

Do you mind sharing additional commentary or discussion to help the Original Poster? I'm assuming your agreement is based on a recent experience? It is always helpful to post detailed experiences and comments.... others may be able to learn new things from your experiences! Thanks in advance!

OFF Topic .....

Thank you webhopper

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.