Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Fees...

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Fees...

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Having an American Express Gold card just means you're willing to pay an outrageous AF for a glorified debit card.

I see no advantage to having one. NONE.

+1, everytime I see any AMEX charge card, I think to myself "you know, that guy is paying an AF and getting nothing." Most Cap 1 cards give better rewards then AMEX.

edit by Webhopper, myFICO moderator

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 11 of 37
Open123
Super Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:
+1, everytime I see any AMEX charge card, I think to myself "you know, that guy is paying an AF and getting nothing." Most Cap 1 cards give better rewards then AMEX.

LOL...This is far off base,

However, I do agree there is little reason to have the plain vanilla Green for $95 and plain Gold for $125.

edit by webhopper, myFICO moderator

Message 12 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

LOL...This is far off base,

However, I do agree there is little reason to have the plain vanilla Green for $95 and plain Gold for $125.

edit by webhopper, myFICO moderator

Totally agree. 

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 37
CS800
Super Contributor

If you can justify the AF for the perks you get out of any card ,then it makes sense.

I sue the AMEX Platinum and use a lot of the perks like priority pass, Global entry credit, airlne credit. The concierge so far has been first class.

And true it is a debit card which makes me even more careful of my spending knowing that I have to pay the full amount at the end of the month. In a way charge cards keep me on track Smiley Happy

But having an AMEX is also glamorous i think. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 37
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

I put  3k a month average through my Plat card, besides the points i get, the travel benefits outlined above justify the annual fee for me .
edit by webhopper, MyFICO moderator

Lots of people chose not to get the Plat card because they do not feel that the cost justifies the benefit, for them.  It does to you, great.

Message 15 of 37
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

I put  3k a month average through my Plat card, besides the points i get, the travel benefits outlined above justify the annual fee for me .

Lots of people chose not to get the Plat card because they do not feel that the cost justifies the benefit, for them.  It does to you, great.

I'm not one to demand everyone be PC either, while I'm not offended, I could see how that statement would be mildly irritating. but ehhh....

as for as justifying amex products with an AF, if you can do a bit of simple math and have a solid grasp of what you spend your disposable income on, then you should know whether the card is a worthwhile product for you and of course there's nothing wrong with getting a product for status.

edit by webhopper, MyFICO moderator

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 16 of 37
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

OT, but damn, you have two PenFed Plat Rewards cards @ 20k each...that's impressive.

they are notoriously stingy claiming if you have any kind of other credit you're likely to stiff them. I'm paraphrasing of course. They call it debt pyramiding.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 17 of 37
bs6054
Valued Contributor

That is an error on their part.  I asked to convert my Plat Rewards to the Chip&Pin version.   Their process then (and I think now as well) involves opening a new account and closing the old one.  I had to speak to three people to assure them that I wasn't asking for new credit, just replacing one line with another.  Then they decided to leave the both open, which is fine by me!

Message 18 of 37
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

I have Amex Green, which I used to get in the door with Amex and landed BCE. I love the Amex Green, not a lot of people have them. However, I wish I have applied for the PRG instead and I will when the time is right.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 19 of 37
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Its that prestige for me. Having an AMEX gold means you have good credit and not to mention that card is BALLIN'!!!!

So the AF isnt a biggie to me.

There is no prestige to the Gold card.  Your credit doesn't have to be that great to get it.  If you can qualify for the Green card you can get the gold.  IMHO the BCE/BCP are much harder to get than the Gold card.  High 600s will get you a gold card easily. 

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.