Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Flagged for FR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Flagged for FR

I agree really... that is, unless they are issuing a red flag because of information they received from another database... chexsystems maybe? or something like that?
Message 41 of 96
davidboca
Contributor

OP: Hopefully this will all pass when Amex receives and approves the requested information. Afterwards, you will look forward to many years of satisfying Amex membership.
Don't fret!
Message 42 of 96
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@davidboca wrote:
OP: Hopefully this will all pass when Amex receives and approves the requested information. Afterwards, you will look forward to many years of satisfying Amex membership.
Don't fret!

They flagged him right off the bat. AMEX is on crack right now. I wouldn't trust them not to pull it again or to decline him at the pos.
Message 43 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

msheresy wrote : "So I just got my card in the mail on thursday and I have spent right @ $100. I try today to view my account and I see that it says it is suspended. I call and am notified that I am having a review done to verify income...blah blah blah. Heres the thing, I put that I made $32000 but I actually only make right @ $30000. Is this going to affect things? Will 2000 actually cause them to cancel my account? I'm really worried now because I was sooooo freaking happy that I got this card!"

Curious msheresy, what is the CL of the card they issued you? And the $100 balance...was that including their annual fee? Just think if you tried to buy something and you were declined, etc. .

Some posters are failing to realize this and think it's all about just complying with Amex and being on the up and up on your income, it's a simple process, etc....but that's not the issue. Purchases, monthly automatic debits, etc, those things could have the constant possibility of rejection...resulting in late fees, embarrassment. . . .

I'd like to see the posters that have no problems with the Amex FR's after their card is declined due to an FR while shopping during the holidays. Wonder how much of a simple painless process it will be for them then?

I believe the FR process can be done every 6 months if they so chose.

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 06-15-2008 02:12 PM
Message 44 of 96
msheresy
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@msheresy wrote : "So I just got my card in the mail on thursday and I have spent right @ $100. I try today to view my account and I see that it says it is suspended. I call and am notified that I am having a review done to verify income...blah blah blah. Heres the thing, I put that I made $32000 but I actually only make right @ $30000. Is this going to affect things? Will 2000 actually cause them to cancel my account? I'm really worried now because I was sooooo freaking happy that I got this card!"

Curious msheresy, what is the CL of the card they issued you? And the $100 balance...was that including their annual fee? Just think if you tried to buy something and you were declined, etc. .

Some posters are failing to realize this and think it's all about just complying with Amex and being on the up and up on your income, it's a simple process, etc....but that's not the issue. Purchases, monthly automatic debits, etc, those things could have the constant possibility of rejection...resulting in late fees, embarrassment. . . .

I'd like to see the posters that have no problems with the Amex FR's after their card is declined due to an FR while shopping during the holidays. Wonder how much of a simple painless process it will be for them then?

I believe the FR process can be done every 6 months if they so chose.

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 06-15-2008 02:12 PM

The limit was 1000. I spent 20 bux that night and the next day I set up t-mobile bill pay on the amex site. I paid my cell bill. I didn't try to use it anymore, thankfully. I only saw that it was suspended because I wanted to try and go ahead and pay it off. The annual fee was waived for the first year so the balance was strictly my purchases.
Message 45 of 96
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@msheresy wrote:

The limit was 1000. I spent 20 bux that night and the next day I set up t-mobile bill pay on the amex site. I paid my cell bill. I didn't try to use it anymore, thankfully. I only saw that it was suspended because I wanted to try and go ahead and pay it off. The annual fee was waived for the first year so the balance was strictly my purchases.

Don't I have the faintest of memories that some people have gotten zapped when using their new card to buy a cell-phone? Maybe around 6 weeks ago on a thread here?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 46 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I remember reading that thread (but it was before I was a registered user). Honestly, it sounds like an Amex thing, something threw up a red flag and they jumped on it, which is something Amex does.
Message 47 of 96
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

For everybody who thinks AMEX is unfair or unreasonable, there are plenty of other credit grantors around.  AMEX doesn't have to do business with you.   AMEX is sitting there extending unsecured credit to millions of people, it is their right to be careful of new customers.  There is a reason AMEX didn't get into trouble like a lot of the banks did over the last year or so, part of it is a high standard of credit issuance.  They don't give cards to any person who can fog up a mirror.  When you get an AMEX card be careful with it and don't try to game them right off the bat, they are more sophisticated than the people on this board.  Their tools are complex and sophisticated, that is their business.  They are in it to maximize earnings and minimize losses.  They don't owe you and you don't owe them, but once there is a solid business relationship going they are quite easy to work with.  (28 years for me).
Message 48 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the statement, BUT, if Amex fears that you may have misled them on your financials at the time of your application, they need to flag you prior to activation and not leave you at the POS with a basket full of goodies you gotta put back on the shelf.

It's almost as asking the hot chick out, you go to meet her at the 5-star restaurant and she never shows. Sure she has the right not to go out with you, but wouldn't have been a lot nicer had she told you BEFORE you got to the restaurant?

And bear in mind I am not an Amex hater, as my father and I are in their "elite" club, but just because we are sitting pretty with them doesn't mean I think it's right that they do such things to those who are not.

Message Edited by Tovya on 06-15-2008 06:33 PM

Message Edited by Tovya on 06-15-2008 06:33 PM
Message 49 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Watchmann wrote:
When you get an AMEX card be careful with it and don't try to game them right off the bat, they are more sophisticated than the people on this board. 

How exactly is charging $100 on a $1K CL trying to "game them right off the bat?"
Message 50 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.