Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Flexible vs pay in full

tag
anybodii
New Contributor

AMEX Flexible vs pay in full

I was looking at Amex cards, and found it odd when I was comparing cards, most have "flexibility to pay over time" which I assume just means its a regular card, but the gold card says you have to pay in full each month... What would happen if you didn't?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Flexible vs pay in full

@anybodii wrote:

I was looking at Amex cards, and found it odd when I was comparing cards, most have "flexibility to pay over time" which I assume just means its a regular card, but the gold card says you have to pay in full each month... What would happen if you didn't?

This feature is only available to selected Amex customers. It allows you to pay either in full as usual or pay an alternative payment which is usually displayed on your statement and allows you to revolve specific charges (usually charges over $100 are eligable).

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

If you did not pay your Amex Gold card in full, they will suspend your charge privledges until it is paid.  They may also require a Financial Review (FR), before restoring those priviledges.  A FR requires that you submit to review of your tax returns.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@anybodii wrote:

They do offer, on the Amex gold card, to pay over time certain items. However the interest rate on it doesnt make it worth it at all. Plus I like the fact I have to be more budget conscious with a charge card.

Message 4 of 11
anybodii
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't really interested in the card, just comparing and was curious. Next card I think will be a AMEX blue cash

Message 5 of 11
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Yeah it seems hit or miss if you get the pay in full option...I never got it for Zync as it has never been presented to me...I would decline it anyway. I applied for Platinum a week ago and when I activated the card it asked me if I wanted the option but I declined. I don't remember what the rate was...I want to say it was 16.24% or something...

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 6 of 11
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@ArisGreek wrote:

Yeah it seems hit or miss if you get the pay in full option...I never got it for Zync as it has never been presented to me...I would decline it anyway. I applied for Platinum a week ago and when I activated the card it asked me if I wanted the option but I declined. I don't remember what the rate was...I want to say it was 16.24% or something...

The rate varies depending on your credit.  For me it is 15%

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 11
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@ArisGreek wrote:

I was offered it on my Green card but didn't accept. I prefer to treat the charge card as just that... a charge card. YMMV.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex activated the extended payment option on my gold card without me doing anything.  One day I just received a letter in the mail saying that due to my good credit history I would be able to start using extended payment after a certain date.

Message 9 of 11
Ron1
Super Contributor

I have Extended Payment Option on my Gold and Green and not on my Zync.  My brother used to have it on his Gold Card.  They took it away after he owed on his extended payment option.  The APR is not low. I have it for almost  a year. I never used it.  The charge card statement looks a little bit difference.  Select and Pay Later, Sign and Travel  and Extended Payment option are the same.  It was offered to selected group of cardmembers.

Ron.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.