Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Forgot My Old Account

tag
Miner
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Forgot My Old Account

Apparently AMEX's reputation for having the memory of an elephant is wrong.  Some of you will remember that I got an AMEX Gold Card in an attempt to reage my credit history since they normally reage accounts.  Here is an update.

I once had a Green Charge Card back in 1989 that was closed in 1992 by AMEX for non-payment.  I forgot about something that I ordered and went traveling for 3.5 months and came home to find that my card had been closed.  I paid them off but didn't try to reopen the card.

I received my new Gold Card this Monday with a Member Since '08 on it.  So I called and asked why it didn't say '89 on it.  They couldn't find my old account even when I gave them the account number (I still have some of my old statements).  After talking to the supervisor, apparently, since it was no longer on my CR and thus older then 7 years, they couldn't back date it since they don't keep records that long.  WHAT!?  I thought AMEX kept records from your late payments since the 1950's and could use that against you at any time.

So my reasons for getting this card has failed.  I'm thinking that there has to be something that I can do, but I'll have to think on this for awhile.

Message Edited by Miner on 10-22-2008 12:24 PM
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: AMEX Forgot My Old Account

I would think the memory is only 10 years like a bk. even for amex.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

miner, come down off the ledge buddy.

you have statements that's great. call and ask to speak with card replacement, advise them you can provide them with the account number and statements.

then post back a success story. good luck!

Message 3 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
I would think the memory is only 10 years like a bk. even for amex.

not so - i just had both my amexes backdated to 1990.

@Miner wrote:

So my reasons for getting this card has failed.  I'm thinking that there has to be something that I can do, but I'll have to think on this for awhile.

i don't think so, not so fast turbo!  call back and speak to another rep.  i had to call back a few times b4 i got someone who knew the deal. the first rep. i spoke to gave me the same song and dance that you received.  i'm glad i called back.

you can speak to credit reporting directly after you get a rep. who can do you justice and locate the old acct.  they are doing it for people who don't even ask for heavan's sake- so don't be discouraged if it takes you a few reps. to find someone who can pull up the account.  once located you can call amex cr directly to request that it be reported although it should happen automatically.  they are going to ask for the report specific number for your new gold found on your ex report (it's different than the actual acct number), so you'll need your ex to find that number (see link below) b4 calling reporting:

american express credit reporting:
800-874-2717

Fax
801-945-2884

you need a full copy of your ex report

https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/InvalidateSession.do?code=DISPUTE

Message Edited by score_building on 10-22-2008 01:53 PM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

call and ask to speak with card replacement, advise them you can provide them with the account number and statements.

then post back a success story. good luck!

Good idea.

Message 5 of 19
plasticguy
Established Contributor

They haven't forgotten mine. I opened a green in 87. They closed it for non paymnet in 89. I opened up Blue in 07. Now when I sign on it says Member since 1987. It shows on my Equifax and TU reports as opened in 87 , but Experian says 07.

I received an invitation for the platnium that says"since 1987 You've been an Outstanding American Express Card member"

I don't understand what it is they are doinbg but, it not happening with Experian 

Message 6 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

@plasticguy wrote:

I don't understand what it is they are doinbg but, it not happening with Experian 

just call the amex credit reporting number and follow the instructions i listed above and they'll update ex with the older date.

Message 7 of 19
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Congrats! Be thankful, use the card wisely and PIF every month. Don't go digging for answers and get one you surely don't want!

@Miner wrote:

Apparently AMEX's reputation for having the memory of an elephant is wrong.  Some of you will remember that I got an AMEX Gold Card in an attempt to reage my credit history since they normally reage accounts.  Here is an update.

I once had a Green Charge Card back in 1989 that was closed in 1992 by AMEX for non-payment.  I forgot about something that I ordered and went traveling for 3.5 months and came home to find that my card had been closed.  I paid them off but didn't try to reopen the card.

I received my new Gold Card this Monday with a Member Since '08 on it.  So I called and asked why it didn't say '89 on it.  They couldn't find my old account even when I gave them the account number (I still have some of my old statements).  After talking to the supervisor, apparently, since it was no longer on my CR and thus older then 7 years, they couldn't back date it since they don't keep records that long.  WHAT!?  I thought AMEX kept records from your late payments since the 1950's and could use that against you at any time.

Message Edited by Miner on 10-22-2008 12:24 PM

Message 8 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

Uniqua wrote:
        Don't go digging for answers and get one you surely don't want!

i know that many, including me, have not wanted to contact amex for any reason these days, since nobody wants the wrong kind of attention.  i think the key is to discover what is ill received and what isn't and not to be motivated by a generalized fear of reprisal; at least that's my struggle.  there are no indications anywhere that i've seen that amex objects to resurrecting old cards.  

in fact, they have been doing this automatically for new approved apps. who have old amex accounts in some cases and are still today very generous in doing so w/o any reports of adverse action being taken.  if there are unintended consequences, they have not appeared here yet from those who post regarding their experience with amex resurrections.

of course things are constantly changing, and YMMV but for now it is one of the really nice features of an amex affiliation and the benefits of resurrection seem to outweigh any adverse consequences, at least so far.  In fact, when i called to make the request i was in CLD mode with one of my amex cards, since then, i have not received any further CLD.  of course i am not saying that the resurrection is the reason for the CLD respite but it reinforced what seems to be the case which is that the request itself didn't prompt negative consequences.

Message 9 of 19
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

This Site Rocks!!!!

I just did exactly as score_building advised (well the 1st part anyway). I called in and gave the rep my social security number to search for an account that was opened in 1987. He (I think I got an out of country call center) could not find anything under my SS# from 1987. Told me to call the credit bureau department in the morning. I waited about an hour and called back. Got a nice lady (american accent) who instantly found the account; she asked if I had a different last name then? I said yes and gave her my married name. She said, yes I found it and can update your account right now! She then asked you have two other accounts, I said yes, a blue and a clear. She said, give me a minute, I'll update those as well. (At this moment,I am finding it very had to hold in my squeals of excitement). She then says, both those accounts had already been updated, they both have member since 1987. I said on my credit report it says 2006. I asked can this be fixed. She said yes, just call the credit bureau department and they will update it. She then said a new card will be mailed with the same account number you currently have, only the member since date will have been changed so I can continue to use my card until it arrives!! 

So tomorrow morning at 9:00am I will be on the phone with the CB Department. Just gained 21 years history on 3 cards!!! Currently, my avg age was 2 yrs, now in a month or so (when all report) it will be 6!! Would have not even tried if not for you all! Thank You!!

Score_Building - Thank You!!

Miner - Don't give up!!! Call back!

Message Edited by ocheosa on 10-28-2008 01:56 AM
[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.