Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Fraud E-Mail?

tag
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

AMEX Fraud E-Mail?

I received a e-mail earlier from AMEX titled "Fraud Protection Alert."

It says to "Please log into your account at AmericanExpress.com and Activate your Online Protection."

Then it states:

"For your security, we regularly monitor accounts for possible fraudulent activity. Please review the attempted charge below which occurred within minutes of the timestamp of this message.

Transaction Date: 05/21/13

Merchant: WAL MART COM

Amount: 122.95

Currency: USD."

Keep in mind though that the transaction date is from 6 months ago but I received this e-mail today. Also, I don't even have an AMEX card. The only thing I have ever had that was AMEX was a pre-paid card which was under my mom's name but with me added to it and this was last year and I haven't even touched it since then.

I did call AMEX CS right away though and they looked up my SS# and said I had no active accounts. They also had me forward the e-mail to them.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? Should I be worried in any way?

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Fraud E-Mail?

@Apinzon2374 wrote:

I received a e-mail earlier from AMEX titled "Fraud Protection Alert."

It says to "Please log into your account at AmericanExpress.com and Activate your Online Protection."

Then it states:

"For your security, we regularly monitor accounts for possible fraudulent activity. Please review the attempted charge below which occurred within minutes of the timestamp of this message.

Transaction Date: 05/21/13

Merchant: WAL MART COM

Amount: 122.95

Currency: USD."

Keep in mind though that the transaction date is from 6 months ago but I received this e-mail today. Also, I don't even have an AMEX card. The only thing I have ever had that was AMEX was a pre-paid card which was under my mom's name but with me added to it and this was last year and I haven't even touched it since then.

I did call AMEX CS right away though and they looked up my SS# and said I had no active accounts. They also had me forward the e-mail to them.

Has this ever happened to anyone here? Should I be worried in any way?

They're just spamming messages...I wouldn't worry too much about it, you reported it and hopefully didn't type in any crucial information into the website. I get them every so often on my college e-mail account and you can tell it's spam because it goes down the list of e-mails that begin with 'S'. It's just randomly targeted to your e-mail and the bad guys hope you bite!

Message 2 of 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Was the "AmericanExpress.Com" a link in the email?   If so, it presumably goes to a site the spammers control, and they hopefully get your real Amex login info, and/or any information they can persuade the victim to enter.

Since you don't have an Amex account, not much luck for them!

Message 3 of 4
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

Thankfully I don't have an AMEX account, but it is still pretty pathetic that there are really people out there who want to do bad things by stealing people's info.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.