Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX GREEN-NEWBIE-PLEASE HELP!

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

AMEX GREEN-NEWBIE-PLEASE HELP!

Just got my score up to 662, so got brazen and apped for AmEx  rewards green after looking at cards in scorematch.com. Other than store cards, I have Orchard MC(since 1999) and Orchard visa (12-05).

It said 'fair' credit, and I'm glad to say I got the card so dont think I wasted an inq (like I did last month apping for Citi Diamond Pref with 633 score and got denied!)

Anyway, now I am so confused!  Should've read more about Amex cards in the forum first!

We rarely travel and never fly, so the rewards arent a big deal to me, but I'm also concerned that it's not going to help my utilization, and now sure how to know what the limit is.  I understand "not pre-set" and some threads say $5K, but how do you know??  And how does it show on your report??

Should I/could I still apply for another Amex right away....a revolving one.....and which one?!?!? I really wanted to help my util and maybe get enough for some balance transfer, as well as have a 'real' card or two!!

Is this a Amex green a good card to have?  Is it a 'prime' card?  Will it help me gain access to other prime cards?

Any thoughts and advices, PLEASE!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX GREEN-NEWBIE-PLEASE HELP!

Try for the Blue Cash or Gold Delta Sky Miles.  I think the AMEX Green is a charge card. (you gotta PIF every month).  I just got the Delta with the scores below.  So you should be in the ball park. IMO
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 2 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. you have already taken the inq. so I would go ahead and apply for the delta skymiles and than convert it to any of the credit cards you like (optima maybe, once you receive delta card)
2. I think the charge card will help your credit, it's still showing good payment history.
3. you can call customer service on back of green card and ask them what sort of perimiters you need to stay within currently on credit line.  Amex also has a link on the website when you are logged in under your accounts to do test charges for different amounts and rather they will be approved.
AND keep in mind amex will raise your (no preset limit) each time you pay your bill on time to at minimum amount the highest balance you have previously paid.

Message 3 of 26
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks, Credit & Unk....

I think I'm gonna get brave and try for the Delta!!

what sort of CL should I expect?!
Message 4 of 26
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

rom828 wrote:
Thanks, Credit & Unk....

I think I'm gonna get brave and try for the Delta!!

what sort of CL should I expect?!

If it makes you feel better I app'd back in Sept 07 w/ an EX below 600 and rec'd a 1k line.

Smiley Happy

I think you should at least mentally shoot for 3k. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 5 of 26
rom828
Established Contributor

I'd be thrilled with 3K!!!!

Is the Blue the same as Delta for app purposes?

We dont really travel so dont need sky miles as much as might enjoy other rewards
Message 6 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Delta is easier to get
Message 7 of 26
rom828
Established Contributor

OH, MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!

JUST APPED DELTA AND GOT APPROVED FOR $7500!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for shouting, but if you'd asked me a year ago  if I thought I'd have an AmEx with a good limit, I Never would've believed it!

I am so grateful for this forum where I have learned so much....and continue to learn...

and for the encouragement of people jus tlike yourselves that gave me the gumption to go for it!!

THANK YOU!!
Message 8 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

WOW, Super congrats!!!
need any other amex's?! sounds like you could get any you wanted from them right now.
Message 9 of 26
stefanc
Regular Contributor

WOW! Nice job!
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.