Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Card Pre Screening offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Gold Card Pre Screening offer

My wife has a 670 score right now and she recieved an Amex Gold card pre screened offer.

It's got you've been selected all over the letter blah blah blah, it's a $125 fee but we thought hey why not its Amex!

So I go ahead and get online punch all the info into the system and then she gets denied due to the fact her credit history is not long enough (oldest account is 12 months) and the fact we have no installment loan history like an auto loan.

I'm pretty annoyed that they come to us with the you have been selected spiel and we want you and then they go ahead and just say no.

What is this going to do to her credit?

I guess I should have known without the words pre qualified    I should have stayed away Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Gold Card Pre Screening offer

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife has a 670 score right now and she recieved an Amex Gold card pre screened offer.

It's got you've been selected all over the letter blah blah blah, it's a $125 fee but we thought hey why not its Amex!

So I go ahead and get online punch all the info into the system and then she gets denied due to the fact her credit history is not long enough (oldest account is 12 months) and the fact we have no installment loan history like an auto loan.

I'm pretty annoyed that they come to us with the you have been selected spiel and we want you and then they go ahead and just say no.

What is this going to do to her credit?

I guess I should have known without the words pre qualified    I should have stayed away Smiley Sad

I'm sorry this happened but being denied for credit has no negative effect other than a maybe a slight ding for a new inquiry.  Except perhaps a bruised ego.  Smiley Wink

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just a thought, unless you're too irritated: have her call AmEx customer service and ask if she'd be eligible for a Zync card instead. It's way cheaper, and it's targeted to younger applicants, so her short history might be OK. I would definitely ask first if they would use the initial credit pull, though, or at least give you an informed response before pulling her credit again.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

In the past if you applied for more than 1 amex card in 1 day it was all the same pull... I would apply for the zync, they seem to only require a credit score and 1 open account

Message 4 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

In the past if you applied for more than 1 amex card in 1 day it was all the same pull... I would apply for the zync, they seem to only require a credit score and 1 open account

That's only if the initial application is approved now. If you get denied an Amex now, any additional applications within 30 days are automatically declined.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called them and they will review it and manually over ride if they feel she was unfairly denied.

So it's ok just have to wait till middle of next week for an answer.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!  I hope she gets it.  It is an excellent company to do business with.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Today she has recieved another offer from capital one.

She already has a capital one platinum mastercard, this one is the same except it is offering 2% cashback on gas and groceries etc etc.

The wording says

Congratulations! As a valued customer, you can get an additional card with up to 2% cash back on all purchases.

Dear Mrs Wilto

We appreciate your business and want to reward you. Thats why you cvan apply today to get cash back on all your purchases - gas groceries...you name it. Plus having an additional cap one card is a convenient way to manage all the different purchases you make.

Soooo what y'all think? Would she get it with a score of 656?

We are building credit (been out of the US for 5 years so starting from scratch)

My wife has a secured Orchard $300 (12 months old) and Cap one regular platinum (7 months old) at $750 (next month going to 1000)

Message 8 of 17
tray
Valued Contributor

Hi, if I was in your situation I would just wait let her current cards age and credit score increase, and watch better cards will come her way why waste an inquiry on Cap One this is a card that just does not grow with you, also in this forum read the new thread that is just out how Cap One is now chargeing an annual fee to good card holder members that have had their card for years without an annual fee!!!!

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 17
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Hello! Is this the No Hassle Rewards Cashback.There are two types of this card:1. without a fee (excellent credit required = 730ish ++ I'd assume) and 2. with an annual fee.
If it is the latter, I wouldn't apply. The purpose of a cashback card is to give you ... back cash! So, you don't want to be locked into an annual fee. If her score is in the mid 600s,  she would probably only qualify for the card with an annual fee. Don't do it then! Wait until her score is better!
Some people on here have had bad luck with Cap. One. I cannot say that's true for me. I got the No Hassle Rewards Cashback with a CL of $7400 when I applied. Right now, since she has a lower-level Cap. One card, I would wait until her credit is much, much better and then apply for a Cap One prime card (or an Amex card for that matter). You might be in a spot where you only get mediocre cards that aren't worth their annual fees.
Honestly, even if you could get the Amex Gold right now, why pay an annual fee? Just to be able to whip out your Amex? I wouldn't do that unless you can really avail yourself of the benefits that come with the Amex. Me, for instance, I don't need the concierge service and all these "luxury" perks. Chose a card that TRULY supports your lifestyle and that makes sense with respect to your spending habits! BE PATIENT!
P.S.: WHile some really like their Amex charge cards, I am a fan of the Amex Blue and the Amex Blue Cash. They are practical and simple without that expensive fee. And they still look cool, too, if that's what you're after!

Today she has recieved another offer from capital one.

The wording says

Congratulations! As a valued customer, you can get an additional card with up to 2% cash back on all purchases.

Dear Mrs Wilto

We appreciate your business and want to reward you. Thats why you cvan apply today to get cash back on all your purchases - gas groceries...you name it. Plus having an additional cap one card is a convenient way to manage all the different purchases you make.

Soooo what y'all think? Would she get it with a score of 656?

We are building credit (been out of the US for 5 years so starting from scratch)

My wife has a secured Orchard $300 (12 months old) and Cap one regular platinum (7 months old) at $750 (next month going to 1000)

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.