Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Offer

tag
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Gold Offer

My first post to the forums!!!

I was approved for the AMEX BCE with 6K limit in December 2012 and received an offer in the mail today to apply for AMEX Gold (not PRG) with a sign up bonus of 25,000 MR points (after spending 1K in first 3 months) and annual fee waived for 1st year. 

Since I have BCE for groceries, should I app (assuming I'm accepted) just for the sign up bonus and cancel before the membership fee hits? I don't really have a need for a charge card but for a free 1yr trial including a sign up bonus I was wondering if y'all thought its worth the hard pull. 

My income is 24,000 (I'm a student) and I pushed 12k with my Wells Fargo Visa (900 limit) and I rarely carry a balance. 

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold Offer

Welcome to the forums! 

Your BCE will be a nice CL after its 61 days! Just remember  to keep your utilization low and dont let anything unexpected to happen.

If you apply for the Gold and dont get approved then its a SP, its an AMEX thing Smiley Wink which is great!

Most people apply for the PRG because of the higher rewards 3 points for airfare and 2 points for gas & supermarket and no AF. Here is a link for the same offer you got, but for the PRG HERE

Good luck and once again welcome to the forums!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I would just app for prg (i think it is the same signup bonus) and then you can at least earn a few more bonus points before the AF hits.
Message 3 of 6
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the links and insights.  The PRG requires 2K for the first 3 months of spending to get the same sign up bonus, vs 1k for the reg GOLD.  Since I don't really spend much on travel (my dad books any flights home), and I have a great grocery card, I think for my pocketbook the safer/easier method would be just going for the reg. Gold card since the threshold is only 1k vs 2k. 

Guess if I app I'd have to change my avatato from a sliver spade to a seedling again Smiley Very Happy

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 4 of 6
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I dont think those cards are worth it for you. I dont think youll spend enough to justify the fee. i dont on mine for the 1 pt per dollar, but I already have it so Im gonna keep it and decide what to do later when the fee is due.

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 5 of 6
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

Thanks for the links and insights.  The PRG requires 2K for the first 3 months of spending to get the same sign up bonus, vs 1k for the reg GOLD.  Since I don't really spend much on travel (my dad books any flights home), and I have a great grocery card, I think for my pocketbook the safer/easier method would be just going for the reg. Gold card since the threshold is only 1k vs 2k. 

Guess if I app I'd have to change my avatato from a sliver spade to a seedling again Smiley Very Happy

If you app'd for your BCE in December, you aren't yet eligible for a silver spade.  I think you have to be 3 months app free for a silver spade.  You should probably be sporting a bronze spade right now.  Smiley Wink

Good luck in you decide to app for the Gold - I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting approved!

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.