Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold card

tag
Ryry1
Established Member

AMEX Gold card

I got pre-selected AMEX Gold card in the mail with 15,000 point reward if I use 1,000$ of AMEX in the first 3 month and if it worth having AMEX card?

I have 5 CCs & Debit card but never had a AMEX card before.

I don't really mind 125$ AF but curious if the Gold card is the #2 to gain a AMEX Platinum? I would love to get Platinum but how long do you need to use AMEX Gold (if I go for it) by June 20th in order to get AMEX Platinum?

I am curious for those have AMEX, can I pay 1,250$ for 10 years ASAP (for example) without worrying about paying 125$ AF until the year of 2022 if I were to pay 1,250$ for 10 years or 2,500$ for 20 years without worrying abou paying AF until 2032? I assume it doesn't work that way?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold card

Go to the AMEX website.  Nothing should stop you from Platinum if you want it.  All their charge cards have similar approval standards aside from Zync.  Also, I would get Premier Gold over Gold.  The join bonus is better and first year AF is free.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 8
Ryry1
Established Member

Premier Gold card recently new? I thought it was just AMEX Gold card.

Message 3 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Go to website.  There is AMEX Gold and AMEX Premier Gold.  Premier Gold is AF of 175, but first year is free.  More points for certain categories of expenditures.

Message 4 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I don't believe that you can "prepay" your annual fee for the next ten years unfortunately....you'll have to pay it each year as it is billed.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I don't believe that you can "prepay" your annual fee for the next ten years unfortunately....you'll have to pay it each year as it is billed.

You can overpay your bill so you have a credit which I guess the AF can go against for years to come.

Message 6 of 8
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Well, I honestly don't see the value in getting the Amex Gold. 

What other cards do you have? If you have a Chase Freedom or Sapphire, you get access to the Ultimate Rewards Mall along with better rewards on purchases. Throw in no annual fee vs. a heffty one and better acceptance overall and it's a no brainer. 

The little things that seem  better with the AMEX Gold aren't that big of a deal for most people. Perhaps you are one of those people for whom the little things do make a difference. 

I'm all about rewards. And in terms of rewards, there are better cards for most purposes. Just my 2 cents.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 7 of 8
Ryry1
Established Member

I have Discover More (2 years) (never applied-they called me), USbank Platinum (1 yr) (never applied-they called me), Capital One Platinum (8 yr) (never applied-they called me), Lowes Card (3 yr), & 1 Debit Card

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.