Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green Card

tag
mkhan6349

AMEX Green Card

Hello,

I received an invitation to apply for AMEX Green Card in the mail few days ago. I am not sure if $95 annual fee after a year is worth it. Does anyone have any experience with this charge card?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Green Card

Worth is highly subjective.  We can't tell you if it's worth it to you.  You'd have to give us your criteria if you want feedback.  Look at what the card offers and see if it is a good fit for you.  Don't just respond to invitations, preselected offers, preapproved offers, etc.  They're all just marketing.  Find the cards that suit you and apply for them.

Message 2 of 10
jd352
Regular Contributor

@mkhan6349 wrote:

Hello,

I received an invitation to apply for AMEX Green Card in the mail few days ago. I am not sure if $95 annual fee after a year is worth it. Does anyone have any experience with this charge card?

Do you actually want this card? IMO, the Everyday cards are a bit better than charge cards for the average consumer. In fact, the normal Everyday has no annual fee and better earning potential from the start over the Green card. The Green card offers no point multipliers, while the Everyday cards do. But, you have to see what fits your spending. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 3 of 10
keithB
Established Contributor

Got a Green Card preapproval too... I went with EveryDay card instead - was approved online.

Message 4 of 10
navajomyst2003
Frequent Contributor

If you want an Amex charge card and want to add AUs, I would suggest the PRG over the Green.  If you have a Green with 1 AU, it will cost $95 + $35 and the PRG will cost $175 + 0, but the points on the PRG are quite a bit more.  Right now, Amex is offering both cards (I have both of them) for no AF the first year, so you could experiment with which works best for you.  Assuming that the charge card route is the way you want to go.Smiley Happy 

In my wallet: Cap1 Venture ($58k), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex HH ($4K), Barclays Ring MC ($10K), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22K), Chase SWA Visa Preferred ($7.5K), Chase United Mileage Explorer VS ($20k), Chase Marriott Rewards VS ($12K), BOA BBR MC ($41K), BOA Visa Sig Cash Rewards ($30K), Chase Ritz VS (9K), NFCU Flagship Visa ($55K), Discover It ($6K), Citi AA ($20K). Everything else in SD.

FICO goal: 800+ (as of 3-6-15: EQ FICO 774,,TU FICO 808, EX FICO 775)
Message 5 of 10
vygotsky
Contributor

What about the Senior green for 35$ AF no MR.

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 6 of 10
Open123
Super Contributor

Only reason to have a Green card is if you need an NPSL for extremely high (where static limits aren't able to accommodate) non-airline/gas related charges.  

Message 7 of 10
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@keithB wrote:

Got a Green Card preapproval too... I went with EveryDay card instead - was approved online.

Exactly the same for my wife...got the Green card letter in the mail, and went online and was preapproved for several cards, but just decided on the ED card. 

Seems like AMEX is sending out Green card invitations like crazy right now. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 8 of 10
vygotsky
Contributor

Is Amex going to have a new charge card any time soon? hopefully with no AF

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 9 of 10
jd352
Regular Contributor

@vygotsky wrote:

Is Amex going to have a new charge card any time soon? hopefully with no AF

I don't see this happening. They tried the Zync with a lower AF than the Green (but with a watered down MR points program), and that has been since discontinued. They really seem to want people to "pay to play" to have a charge card. The confusing thing is that they have 2 charge cards that accumulate points the same, as well as have the same benefits, yet are different in price (Gold vs Green). I guess their original idea with charge cards would be everyone would start at green. Get upgraded to Gold at some point. Then PRG. Then Platinum. Then the almighty Centurion. However, now it is really just open to pick whatever suits you the best (other than the Centurion). 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.