Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green. I want my foot in the door with AMEX

tag
bobbay
Established Contributor

AMEX Green. I want my foot in the door with AMEX

I spend about $7k per year at Costco so I really want that card, I fly Jet Blue when I travel so that would be nice.

When I got out of college back in 1994 I had a AMEX green for a little while sooooooooooooooooo.  Member since 1994 will go along way Smiley Happy in the file.

I want to get my foot back in the door with AMEX Green.  I am not apping for anything till I get back in with them.  The past several years I have been Debit card almost exclusively till I found this board and decided to try to rebuild my credit.  I have not had a car loan since 2002 and need a new car but that will have to wait till I can get in with amex. 

• I have 3 closed cc accounts with balance($1500 each) on auto pay monthly and I guess I need to PIF these and
  • Overdraft $2400 limit with $2k balance
  • have Util <10%, other than that with a
  • score is 605 but with balances above I think in the 610-640 range and an
  • average account age about 4years,
  • 5 accounts open and 18 closed on the report
  • Income is $70k & DW is $100k

Am I close or am I really far off on getting approved for Green?

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Green. I want my foot in the door with AMEX

Doubtful at your current score, but pay down those balances and get it more in the neighborhood of 640, and you have a good chance.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 2 of 9
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Im just going to be blunt here.  It's not going to happen.  Even with a score of 640 it is very unlikely.  Everything in your post looks solid so you must have a recent derog you are not disclosing. With everything in your post you should have a much higher score. What are your baddies?

PS: The best card for Costco is the Fidelity Amex IMO. Smiley Wink

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 9
bobbay
Established Contributor

Thanks for the replys. 

Util may be off since the 3 accounts with $1500 Bal. each are closed accounts

5 new CC accounts, limits are $1000, $1500, $700, $500, $800 and $2,400 all last month.  That is why the low AAoA.

Amex decline, Barclays decline last month

The open cc is from 11/04 and just went from $500 to $1500 PIF every month

2010,2011,2012 many 30 day lates on the mortgage with a couple of 60 day lates in 2010 and 2011

both cars have $200k miles on them and every couple of months I get a $1500-$3000 suprise, that was what usually caused slow pays on the mortgage...gotta get to work

My income was 40-55k till last year and now 70K and climbing

DW income was 80k just got a nice bumb as well so things are getting sorted out.

Never heard of the fidelity Amex...what am I missing?

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 4 of 9
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

Thanks for the replys. 

5 new CC accounts, limits are $1000, $1500, $700, $500, $800 and $2,400 all last month.  That is why the low AAoA.

The open cc is from 11/04 and just went from $500 to $1000 PIF every month

2010,2011,2012 many 30 day lates on the mortgage with a couple of 60 day lates in 2010 and 2011

both cars have $200k miles on them and every couple of months I get a $1500-$3000 suprise, that was what usually caused slow pays on the mortgage...gotta get to work

DW income was 80k just got a nice bumb as well so things are getting sorted out.

Nothing if you want to get back with Amex then don't app for the Fidelity Amex.  Its not a true Amex card just a fidelity card in the Amex network.

Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

Thanks for the replys. 

The open cc is from 11/04 and just went from $500 to $1000 PIF every month

The closed accounts with balances are hurting your scores and the chances of Amex approval

Wait until balances are paid  if you can pay those off you would see a big jump in scores and IMHO you will be approved then 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@bobbay wrote:

Nothing if you want to get back with Amex then don't app for the Fidelity Amex.  Its not a true Amex card just a fidelity card in the Amex network.

Not a true Amex but still a very good card (2% on everything, redeem for cash).   But your scores are probably too low for that.

Message 7 of 9
bobbay
Established Contributor

The closed accounts with balances are hurting your scores and the chances of Amex approval

Wait until balances are paid  if you can pay those off you would see a big jump in scores and IMHO you will be approved then

myjourney,

Thanks, that is what i was thinking.  i think it will tike me till Feb to knock out the $4500 on the closed cards and $2k on the citi overdraft.  Then the only debt i will have is the mortgage and all of the closed cc accounts will be $0bal.  I am thinking 640-660 is very realistic score by feb and hopeful it is good enough for Green.

Depending on how that goes I may try Delta also at that time also.  228 months of account age per new account will go a long way in the file so Amex is the ace in the hole once the debt is knocked out.

Last app 03/12/17

Message 8 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@bobbay wrote:

myjourney,

Thanks, that is what i was thinking.  i think it will tike me till Feb to knock out the $4500 on the closed cards and $2k on the citi overdraft.  Then the only debt i will have is the mortgage and all of the closed cc accounts will be $0bal.  I am thinking 640-660 is very realistic score by feb and hopeful it is good enough for Green.

Depending on how that goes I may try Delta also at that time also.  228 months of account age per new account will go a long way in the file so Amex is the ace in the hole once the debt is knocked out.

I think this is a great plan for approval and scores may even be higher by then 

I would app green and if approve seconds later app the Delta

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.