Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green-Upgrade or PC to Platinum or Gold

tag
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

AMEX Green-Upgrade or PC to Platinum or Gold

Hello everyone, need some help.

So about 8 years ago ( just found out a month or so ago)  that AMEX GOLD card has written off $2000, i offered to pay it back but they said it wont do no good.

Fast forward.....

When i applied for a any AMEX card it says "declined due to AMEX closed one of yoru accounts" -- Here is where it gets confusing

I applied for a GREEN CARD back in March of this year, and i got approved !!

6 months later my "spending limit" or "spending power" went up from $1200 to $5250, I avg about $4-$5K a month and i pay them before it is due, and AMEX CSR New Credit Team who i speak to once a month LOVES me and compliments me on how the payments history is just incredible.

so now with that being said ......

April of 2017 will be 13 months. ...So will I get a Product Change or Upgrade offer for a Gold or Platinum card ? if so ?

What is the difference between PRODUCT CHANGE and UPGRADE ?

Is it a Hard Pull ? or Soft Pull or NO Pull ?

Do they base it off payment history and spending habits ?

OR 

Am i stuck with the Green Card for the rest of my life ?

Thank You all for you support !!

Current scores on all three bureaus are high 500 or Low 600

7 REPLIES 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Green-Upgrade or PC to Platinum or Gold

An Upgrade in AMEX-speak is a product change to a higher AF card. They routinely promote these, to get you into the higher AF card.

A Product Change is where you initiate a request to change to a different card, without relying on their marketing. Usually the cardholder wants to reduce AF, get better benefits more aligned with spend, or both.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 8
mossmanb5
Established Contributor

dont request a pc. wait for the email i got this morning saying they wanted me to upgrade to the premier rewards gold. this month is my 13th month. wait for the email offer so u can get the bonus 15k miles with 1k spend in 3 months. or u wont get the bonus. i just did my upgrade literally 30 mins ago online thru the link offer on my email. i also had the green for last 13 months.

72 cards and done 312,800 in available credit
0.5% uti / 2.2 aaoa
eq 698 / ex 712 / tu 729

inqs= eq 48 / ex 35 / tu 15
Message 3 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't even PC an Amex card with an email.  Hang tight and wait for them to send you an offer for a new card.  15k points or miles is a bad deal compared to the offers available on new accounts.

Message 4 of 8
thummel
Established Contributor

I wouldn't product change to something with just a higher annual fee and a couple more benefits. I would wait until you get an offer for a big bonus like the PRG 50K or 65K offers that are floating around so you don't lose out on a big potential bonus with the kind of spending you can do, you could easily reach that.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took the offer because my senior gold has 25 years of history and was paying an AF for no MR points, just the history and no limit. I also didn't want a hard pull. If I'm going to apply for another card it'll be the CSR when I'm eligible in January when I'll be under 5/24 and my CSP will turn 2 years old.
Message 6 of 8
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Will they PULL your credit again ? OR is it just an "upgrade" same accoutn number just a different card and benifits ? and is it 100% approved or upgrade 

Thank You

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointsBonus wrote:

Will they PULL your credit again ? OR is it just an "upgrade" same accoutn number just a different card and benifits ? and is it 100% approved or upgrade 

Thank You

for an upgrade (product change) there is no credit pull. The account number stays the stame and including its history etc all transfer over and stay the same. If you're "elgible" for an upgrade then it's pretty much a 100% approval otherwise you wouldnt be elgible for it. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.